Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Ford F-150

2015 Ford F-150

2015 Ford F-150 brings big aluminum to the Rust Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog.com
    Instead, the big headline news Ford is highlighting are the truck's new aluminum-intensive structure and 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.

And with good reason – all that aluminum means that Ford was able to cut a massive 700 pounds from the truck's curb weight. That is going to cause all sorts of great things to happen to the 2015 F-150's driving dynamics, performance and fuel efficiency, not to mention its ability to haul heavy loads. For those customers worried about the strength of aluminum versus the more conventional steel, Ford is quick to point out that many military vehicles, such as the HMMWV and Bradley Fighting Vehicle, use a very similar sort of aluminum alloy in their construction.

It's also worth mentioning that the backbone, a fully boxed ladder frame, is hewn from high-strength steel. Ford says "2015 Ford F-150 is the strongest and most durable F-150 ever," for what it's worth, claiming that "torture tested" in labs and in the real world for more than 10 million miles. What's more, the truck, in disguised form, completed all 883 miles of the Baja 1000.

Engine options are equally intriguing, with a new 2.7 EcoBoost V6 engine making the most headlines. That engine, which Ford says will "deliver the same power as some mid-range V8s," doesn't yet have official power or efficiency ratings but sits right above the base 3.5-liter V6. The well-known 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 carries over, as does the 5.0-liter V8. Other high-tech tidbits include a 360-degree camera, which ought to make maneuvering the massive truck much easier, LED lighting all around, an eight-inch in-cabin LCD screen.
    First to market. While it may look like a Tundra, this sucker is going to move units.

Another tidbit:

Quote Originally Posted by freep.com
    The truck frame will be made of steel. But the full cab and bed are high-strength, heavy-gauge aluminum alloys that Ford engineers insist are tougher and more dent-resistant than steel body panels Ford has used for decades. The current F-150 uses aluminum only for the hood.

Engineers took the unusual step of building six prototypes of current F-150s with aluminum bodies for stealth field testing. The unique trucks were tested at a dam construction site in Pennsylvania and a gold mine in Utah. They endured brutal use and abuse by unsuspecting workers who had no idea they were dropping heavy loads into an aluminum bed.

Ford also surreptitiously entered an aluminum prototype F-150 with the new engine in the grueling Baja 1000 race in November and it finished.
    Last edited by novicius; January 15th, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

Regardless of material, it would be nice if the bed heights would reverse their current trend of constant increase. F-i-l notes that he can't get tools in and out of the side windows on the shell of his new F-150 b/c the lift-over height is too much compared to his old 2000 Silverado.
    Whoomah!

Very interested to see the EPA rating effect this has. And for everyone else to copy the drastic weight savings.

Russ-
    Tell people to stop lifting their trucks once they get them, my guess is they're sending the message that taller is better.
    Get that weak shit off my track

This is how Ford snuck a 2015 F-150 past everyone at the Baja 1000

Quote Originally Posted by RoadAndTrack.com
    Ford pulled a prototype pickup from its test fleet: a 2015 model in 2014 clothing. In order to keep spy photographers at bay, Ford went through the hassle of stamping a number of 2014 bodies in aluminum for road testing. It was the perfect camouflage.

“This truck is all the 2015 powertrain, frame, the suspension stuff, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost motor, and then they actually stamped the old molds out in aluminum so we could hide in plain sight,” Foutz said.

He grabbed a prototype and set to work. Unlike previous race trucks, Ford was dead set on using as may production parts as possible. Aside from a set of lift springs, Fox shocks borrowed from the Raptor, a fuel cell in the bed, a cage, and a set of 35/12.50 R17 prototype BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A tires, the truck is bone stock. It even has the factory transmission cooler.

“We broke all the rules for racing. This is as stock as you can possibly get. It’s all the stock arms and four-wheel drive components.”

Ford even insisted on using the factory air intake and filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Regardless of material, it would be nice if the bed heights would reverse their current trend of constant increase. F-i-l notes that he can't get tools in and out of the side windows on the shell of his new F-150 b/c the lift-over height is too much compared to his old 2000 Silverado.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorTrend.com
    The upper lip of the bed is about an inch lower, making it easier to reach into the bed, and bed-side steps are now available even on the shortest boxes.
    Sounds like more than your f-i-l complained about that.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I'm no fan of Ford or Ford trucks, but 700 pounds off is a HUGE improvement and a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I'm no fan of Ford or Ford trucks, but 700 pounds off is a HUGE improvement and a step in the right direction.
    This.

I wonder if they are trying to Federalise their 2.5 liter diesel engine for this too...

I love that they ran it basically stock in the Baja, and in front of everyone.

Ford's trucks have been getting better and better since their low point in the '90s - glad to see they have the wherewithal to keep that trend going! For me, this is the first truck that is good enough that would make me think long and hard versus a Chevy... the previous several generations have been very nice, just not quite good enough to change my default vote.

I think they should have gone coil spring in the rear though.

I'm a Ram fan because of their innovation in that area.
    And i'm surprised why there hasn't been innovation in using air springs as helper springs for coils. Or even hydraulics. Citroen has been using them for decades. So has Mercedes. Smooth ride. Load handling. BOOM!!!!