Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DiRT Rally - Codemasters Release

DiRT Rally - Codemasters Release

Can't believe no one's mentioned this! - http://store.steampowered.com/app/310560/

Codemasters has released - in Steam's "early access" currently - DiRT Rally. They've evidently listened to everyone that wants CM2.0.... 2.0. It's getting very positive feedback for those exact reasons. It's hardcore. Narrow courses, pace notes, repairs between stations... and for an early access game it's being reported that it's extremely polished.

I may have to purchase this once I get my new gaming rig built

Controller support and force feedback is all over the place, but they are listening to the community on this. Otherwise it's already very solid and shows a lot promise for providing an authentic recreation of the sport. Pikes Peak, both the old a new version, will be coming in the next update. www.dirtgame.com

Some off screen replay footage I captured yesterday.

Junior Potato
    It's in my "to buy soon-ish" list.

Paul Leins (aka The End here some time ago) says it's hardocre, like Richard Burns Rally hardcore.

From the Codemasters blog:
    If you’ve been doing the DiRT Daily events you may have seen the name Kevin Abbring at the top of the leaderboard a lot.

Well, Kevin is a WRC driver for Hyundai and got talking to us just after launch on Twitter. A few people were calling hacks on his times which made us chuckle… This guy does this for a living; the fact he’s beating you all furthers our belief that we’ve built the perfect foundation for DiRT Rally. We won’t lie, he puts in a bit of a cheeky corner cut four minutes in but you can’t deny this is some impressive driving.
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/QnPuk2ECaIQ

Pretty awesome

Also, this is part of the Steam summer sale, 25% off.

So I finally picked this game up on Steam sale.

It's extremely polished. I'd say I'm already having more fun with this than pCARS, but I've only just started messing around with the pCARS campaign, which was a blast.

I bought a Fulvia, hired an engineer with a contract for 40 stages and took off.

The drone action going on is pretty cool

I only drove in dash view (above), but this is another optional interior view.

I really was ginger driving this car. A few misjudged turns (and the fact that I realized my brake pedal wasn't mapped ), and next thing I know, the co-driver is telling me we lost our left rear. Uh oh.

Uh, it was instantly noticeable Much lighter in the rear now...

I dragged it across the finish... somehow managed 7th out of 10.

I eventually got the hang of it a little bit better. A 6th place finish on stage 2 marked the end of day 1 and allotting repairs. The team is pretty barebones, so only so much progress can be made in 30 minutes. If you go above that they start penalizing your times.

I followed with two 5th place finishes on day 2, getting me 5th overall at the event and enough credits to feel a little comfortable again. During stage 3 or 4 the crew got creative and figured out an engine upgrade, boosting performance by 5hp (how is that allowed? ) and I'm close to unlocking a weight reduction. That will make it a little easier to compete with the Mini-driving German who kept beating me by a minute

Some extra shots:

Last edited by GreatScawt; June 28th, 2015 at 07:09 AM.

Gorgeous looking game

I read a story on that game, saying everyone thought one guy was a cheater because he consistently beat everyone else's times by a significant margin. Turns out he is an active WRC driver. The one replay of his I've watched is ridiculous.

Edit: now with referenced video!

Last edited by Kchrpm; June 28th, 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Nice write-up and pictures GreatScawt. Will be getting this the minute I upgrade to a new PC, hopefully sometime this year.

KCH- you may have seen that from earlier in this thread It's a fantastic video, and really says something about the authenticity of the game. The other key point is that I'm pretty sure that's one of the daily challenges and I *believe* you only get one shot. So he's pulling some fast times without constant retries I believe.

8400- Thanks! Really solid game, very polished. Hard to believe it's technically still "early access". They added Pike's Peak as well with some hillclimb cars. Have to try that still.

Hahaha I'm so dumb, I thought I had read it on a gaming site.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    Damn, I forgot to buy this during the sale.

Oh well, full price it is!