Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bacon

The first TJ's I went to was in California. My wife bought some Two Buck Chuck. Or was it Three Buck Chuck by then? I dunno. But, I got a six-pack of Nicaraguan beer in cans for, like $1.50 or something, if I remember correctly. It was too cheap and odd NOT to try while on vacation, and IIRC it tasted awful.

We have TJ's here now and, while I rarely go there, that jar o' bacon has me wanting to drop in and look around. The last time I was there, I noticed some bagged, frozen Chinese entrees that looked just like the kind of Chinese food you get in those medium to low-end Chinese restaurants in the US, like the ones in shopping centers and next to convenience stores. Not serious, chef-type restaurants, but those cheap places with the lunch combo specials. I've always suspected many of those places just serve whatever the restaurant supply companies sell them because it's so similar everywhere you go - pepper steak, General Tso's Chicken, hot & sour soup, and stuff like that. Maybe it's the same thing in those bags at Trader Joe's?

I know I should not have General Tso's Chicken standing by in my freezer for whenever I get a jones for sodium and MSG and sticky-sweet breading, but hey, this is the bacon thread, after all - the thread for gustatorial sinning.

Uncured bacon jam is not a hoax. I found myself near a Trader Joe's today and went in to look around.

They have it in the "spreadables" section, with peanut butter and similar things.

I haven't opened the jar, so no reviews just yet, but the product does exist!

"No Nitrates or Nitrites Added" except the ones we added.

Wicks Manor bacon is awesome.

Administrator
    2/3 cup sliced green onions
    2/3 cup mayo
    2/3 cup sour cream
    4 teaspoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
    1 pound tiny cooked (or cook your own) shelled shrimp
    8 slices of bacon
    sourdough bread

Mix together everything but the bacon and bread. Toast bread, cook bacon. Chop bacon. Make sandwiches.

I should have posted this before summer, as it's a great "evening after a hot day" meal.

I have a friend who cooked us breakfast one time.... And when preparing to drop a pound of bacon into the pan to fry it up, began with dropping half a brick of salted butter in the pan first... Like, wtf.

I only discovered bacon jam a couple of weeks back. I’m quite upset that no-one had pointed out its existence until now.