Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The RV/Camping/Trailer Thread!

The RV/Camping/Trailer Thread!

Since tsg is looking for an RV, and I'm a teardrop fan (but not owner), plus campers are kinda neat.

Really cool Ford Transit conversion
    Whoomah!

For fans of well-engineered-but-ugly, there's the Cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by CricketTrailer.com
    Unloaded vehicle weight: 1,460 lbs

I used to camp with style.

Except for the one with the building under construction behind it. Worst campground I ever stayed in. Highway on one side and train tracks on the other.

DSC_3750.jpgDSC_3827.jpgDSC_4627.jpgDSC_9133.jpg

I really like the Crickets. There's an RV store not far from here that sells a few of the smaller trailers, including those Crickets and the cool Safaris. I think it'd be a neat thing to have - but nowhere approaching $20k neat. Unless I was inexplicably compelled to camp in really inhospitable places, I'd take a tent and a sleeping bag any day of the week. One Saab and what fits in back has always done me fine!

I'd rather spend $6,000 on a more traditional 13'-15' travel trailer. Those do also come with toilets, don'cha know?

Just grab your hot glue gun and gypsy-it-up in preparation for Burning Man.

Yeah, I suggested that he tow a trailer with the F eetwoo . He didn't like that idea for some reason?
    Whoomah!

I prefer tent camping at this point, but I wouldn't say I rough it. My Eureka has handled monsoons without a leak so far, has good ventilation/airflow even with the rain fly and handles a queen air mattress with room for 2 duffle bags down the sides. I can pack nearly all my gear in one big action packer, which entails a good bit of GSI cookware and serving ware. I do want a bigger tent I can stand up in though, maybe one of the old school styled canvas ones like the Kodiak's.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Yeah, I suggested that he tow a trailer with the F eetwoo . He didn't like that idea for some reason?
    F-that, get the XR4Ti rolling, put a hitch on it and Mad Max this show to Burning Man!

Things to bring to trade with/give away:
    • Box of cheap sunglasses
    • Box of glow sticks
    • Box of plastic beads
    • Box of SKYN non-latex condoms
    • Box of water-based lube packets

Secure a full-sized spare to the roof of the Ti, get a couple cans of Dinki Di dog food and eat all of your meals out of them, wear nothing but denim/leather/animal prints, maybe sport some assless pants -- y'know, just another typical weekend.

Also, bring a big rug, make sure the travel trailer has an awning or put one on, folding table, folding chairs, Christmas lights, mount a beer tap on the outside of the trailer, etc. Also-also, apparently people like anything that throws flames, so get the turbo to spit fire (when not towing). Gotta do it up right!
    Last edited by novicius; January 16th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

We bought a fixer-upper:

1972 Corsair, 17'. Apparently, it's the largest camper trailer ever made with a single axle. I dunno whether to like that or not... And has those stupid VW-esque Fayette 4-bolt wheels I can't find anywhere.

Since the pics it's been upgraded with a large inverter and battery to run everything, which is nice. Only other plans are to get the water pump running, and maybe swap that axle to a common one. Tows real nice, despite the age.

And after:

My dad painted it by brush.

Wow, he did a great job, Tiger!

To quote someone much more accomplished in life than I, retro travel trailers are rad.