Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason's Love Bean Sequel - Ford Fiesta ST

FWIW, 16" wheels and even some 15s fit, if you want to cut cost by going smaller in diameter. Might be slightly more comfortable, too.

The autocrossers seem to mostly be running 16s.
    Whoomah!

You cab get a good result painting them yourself *if* you do it right - scuff, prime, paint, clear. I've done a few sets of wheels now and they finish is durable. What is not durable is rattle can over a factory finish. It will chip away - although it may last quite some time before it does. Plastidip has the usual precautions, though the upside of it being very easy to touch up. Doing it right expect to pay around $15 in supplies per wheel, crappy rattle can probably $5 per wheel, and Plastidip $5-$10. The upside of doing it yourself is being able to leave the tires on - because you'll pay $40 for a dismount/mount/rebalance. That's just wasted money.

If you do go the DIY route, I recommend the index card method of tire masking. Worked nicely when I did my BMW wheels.

Not mine, but you get the idea:
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Love FiST is hilarious, but I'm leaning towards Taco.

Taco Fiesta being my favorite hole in the walk food joint of all time

Except you'll have to explain that to absolutely everyone, because no one will get it besides you.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    If you do go the DIY route, I recommend the index card method of tire masking. Worked nicely when I did my BMW wheels.
    Holy crap, that's brilliant! I use frog tape which works well, but this seems like the bomb beezy!

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post

Except you'll have to explain that to absolutely everyone, because no one will get it besides you.
    And "Love Bean" made sense?

As far as the wheels discussion:

I am not opposed to doing plastidip myself, but I don't have a garage, and frankly I'm not sure if I have the patience... so I'm waiting on a quote from a local shop here to see how much it costs to have them do it professionally.

If it's a boat load of money, I'll go the 3rd party wheel route... I am leaning towards 16 inches just to make the ride a bit more comfortable, being that DC is shit road city. Will get all seasons sometime in the fall, before snow starts to hit, and just use them all year around (yes, I know I lose performance, but frankly I'm not pushing the car to that limit anytime soon anyways).

Now I don't claim to be the master of all things 'wheel' but I am yet to see a car that didn't come with black wheels that is improved by fitting or painting black wheels. IMO black wheels look awful on most cars.

... but it does save having to clean them.

The only way I like black wheels is if they're on a light colored car, or with the proper accent.

This is too much:

Kinda half-murdered out, not to my taste.

This is a nice contrast:

Something like this works good for me:

Couldn't find a Fiesta or a Focus with similar treatment, although this is kind of a neat idea:

Black on black is my all time favorite color combo

Professional plastidip is about $200 total, and apparently lasts 3 years before touch up (I bet shorter because DC).

Wheels are $400-600 for a set plus shipping and install.

Decisions decisions.