Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous

Elite: Dangerous

I downloaded the trial version for free and have been going through the tutorials. It is really spaceflight simmy -- which has pros & cons.

Pro: realistic(-ish) Newtonian physics, detailed HUD, realistic space settings

Con: Realistic space settings are dull

Reynard should love this game, it's like Zero-G Fighters on Xbox 360. Realistic, simmy, patience required.

Heh, good one Novi. Turns out I've been playing it since it launched in December... evidence: https://youtu.be/1GeWX04UcuM

I have no complaints, it's a damn impressive game with a lot on offer and always expanding in it's content. But from a personal perspective and this could apply to any other modern MMO I suppose (when I used to play War Thunder I felt the same) in that to get the most out of these games, you need to play them practically everyday. Try playing for a couple hours a week and you're soon left behind in the wake of all those who dedicate far more time to it then you. It's then that these games start to feel like a second job and that is quite off putting for me tbh.

This is going to be one of the first things I buy after I get an Oculus Rift (Eve: Valkyrie will probably be THE first). I know someone who plays it on the Oculus DK with a full HOTAS setup. But I agree with the general tenor of Reynard's comments.

Elite: Deleted

No, seriously. I gave this a go today. First thing I started were tutorials, of course. Unfortunately, "Go shoot stuff!" is not a tutorial. I couldn't figure out the controls. It turned me off immediately. I'm not giving up on it just yet. I'll go back some other day and look up the control scheme.

I didn't even realise there was a thread. I've been playing on and off on PC but I kind of got bored. I know, you're probably thinking 'how? It's humongously massive!' But there really isn't a huge amount to do at the moment. It feels about as deep as a puddle. Sure the puddle is the size of the Pacific but it's still only a few inches deep. You can't do more than dabble in anything, there isn't the support or in game structure to completely immerse yourself into any one thing.

I seem to remember getting this game for free. I booted it up to give it another go and there was a 6 Gb update. Once I got it started up, it told me I had two hours left on my trial.

Yup there was a free (and short) trial period but the full game costs $40, I believe.

I've fiddled around with it here and there -- I'm not good at the ship-to-ship combat, if you can believe that. But I've got the docking and landing down pat!

LOL. I nearly bought it but read a few reviews which mentioned the problem Alan encountered.

I've bought No Man's Sky. That should have more stuff to do, and it should be slightly prettier.

YW -
    This is completely unfair of me, but please, PLEASE, ignore your family and play No Man's Sky and tell us about it. I don't own any hardware that can play it, but the premise and possibilities seem so wonderful.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I think it's also being released on the PS4. It shouldn't be an issue to buy one.