Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite: Dangerous

This game is kind of frustrating. I have not played much yet, but twice already, I've been interdicted, immediately incapacitated, then destroyed. WTF am I supposed to do against that? Another time, I made the mistake of investigating a distress call. I was immediately attacked and destroyed by about six ships. I want to like this game, but it's trying hard to drive me away.

"Welcome to your first day of Elite: Dangerous. We're going to destroy you several times with no hope of you doing anything about it. Isn't that awesome?"

I have a feeling that there are people who love that type of game. Are there how-to's or anything online that explains how to avoid the normal pre-badass pitfalls?
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yes. I have not examined at them very closely. It was not until after the game screwed me three times that I actually looked that stuff up. I learned pretty early to outrun dudes that are trying to shoot me. Still, nothing would have helped me with the interdiction/incapacitation BS.

That is why I do not like games with unbridled PvP. I'm assuming it is other players that are griefing you, and not horrific AI location/programming.

No, it's the AI. I'm playing solo mode, where I do not interact with real players. I was afraid I would get attacked in every system if I did the free, open mode. I was hoping solo would be somewhat safe. I was wrong. This game is trial by fire.

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't played the game for quite some time... as in before having "wings" (squadrons) existed let alone Horizons with it's planetary landings. Anyway, I played Open 90% of the time and rarely had any truly hard times getting attacked on a regular basis. When I did I was pretty good at evading interdictions with their little reticule dual (as I call it) mini game once the interdiction starts but perhaps that is harder to win with a gamepad? if I did get pulled out though it would simply be evaluating my opponent to see if a fight was even an option or not. Usually not if I was just running cargo in a ship kitted out for that purpose I would have no offensive weapons at all and it's just dump some cargo and run but that's not really my point. Though I wonder if it's possible that they upped the AI frequency & aggressiveness in Solo mode since I played. I remember there was a lot of folks playing the game that were not happy with players just working the trade routes to death pretty much unmolested in Solo mode.

The important thing I want say is that the Milky Way is just so damn huge that it shouldn't be a problem finding some open space so to speak. The main thing you want to do early on is venture out and away from wherever you started as that is almost always going to be the most crowded. I moved out right away and found my own little slice of the galaxy early on with 4 systems fairly close with some good trade routes within and one with some good technology for buying good parts in their shipyard. Was it the most profitable sector to be in, of course not, that's where you'll find the most trouble at any given time. However it was quiet, I'd be lucky to encounter another commander once every 10 hours worth of playtime I'd imagine and they were almost never hostile. Then I was able to grind away to get enough dosh to get some more and better equipped ships that allowed me to broaden my play styles and venture back to more populous space. The Cobra MkIII is prolly the best all around ship to shoot for early on (if you stick with it) as it can be outfitted for any role reasonably well (Hauling, fighting or exploring). That's what I made most of my initial bankroll with once I mapped out a nice rare goods trade route to run with it. Before I stopped playing I had 4 different ships scattered about the galaxy, an Eagle for racing/fun, a Viper for Bounty Hunting & 2 separate Type 6's. One outfitted for max payload/speed and another I turned into a right fine explorer. And that was about the time I got burned out with the massive time sink the game had become for me. I keep telling myself I'll start playing again but just never get around to it. I even make sure my game is updated to the latest version so if I do, at least I won't have a change of heart while I'm waiting 30 minutes to download all the updates I've missed the past 9 months.

Obviously you could peruse the forums here if you so wish. There are usually some good user created guides/resources to be found.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Also another nice little tool I used a bunch is the Elite Shipyard for playing with different possible ship configurations before spending any money in game.

http://www.edshipyard.com/

Well good luck Commander Cam, with whatever the you choose to do in the end.

Thanks Rey. I started to play open mode. I haven't seen another real player yet, that I know of.

I started out making deliveries. The game gave me an Eagle in a nearby shipyard and I've been using that since picking it up. I've just been doing simple safe missions, but they have not been lucrative. I've collected a few bounties on dudes that I was able to fend off after they attacked me. I'm constantly seeing things to investigate as I'm flying. I gave up investigating them, however, as they always seem to be traps. I saved up enough to upgrade the Eagle for longer range. I don't get how to explore unknown systems yet. I'll have to look through the play guides.

It's tough for a spacer to make an honest living out there. The majority of the stuff available on the bulletin boards are illegal.

I don't get why salvaging is illegal though. I somehow got a 500 spacebuck bounty on me. I don't know where or how, but it was either from speeding near a station or having salvage cargo.

There are speed limits in space? The more things change, the more things stay the same.

Yes, near space stations.

I'm surprised how much dough you can make simply by flying around uninhabited star systems. at one point, I was skirting the edge of inhabited space, considering doing some exploration. Alas, I do not have a good enough ship to do that very well. I have a Viper MKIII right now. Maybe once I get a Cobra I can do some real exploring. I decided to head toward Sol instead, just to have a look. Hopefully, I can get the required permit to visit. :roll:

I'm writing this as I wait for my ship to fly to a station at an extreme orbit around its star. I've already been waiting for it for ten minutes. It's going to take another 45, probably. Who thought this was a good idea? I read about the waiting times to fly to other places. I thought they were just exaggerating. I have not had to fly for more than a couple of minutes to get to a space station, until now, and I've been to about 100 systems. (I read a comment from a dude on the Elite Wiki that claimed he visited over 20,000 systems. )

As I was typing this, my speed has just surpassed 1,600 times light speed and the time to get there is telling me one hour. My speed is increasing, but not very quickly. My controller will shut off if I just walk away from it. Seriously, Frontier? :roll: This has to be a glitch in the game or something. Who would take the piss like that? I'll let this finish, but I'm not flying this far again.
    Last edited by Cam; March 10th, 2016 at 12:17 PM.