Page 112 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Sure - I’d recommend starting with universal background checks and a system that ensures that people like this most recent shooter - who legally shouldn’t have been able to purchase guns under current law - are kept in the system.

This is something constitutional, feasible, and supported even by a vast majority of gun owners. Low-hanging fruit.

Are there conservative gun lovers against that idea?

Just read a ny times article saying bottom line is that USA just has too many guns... and gun debate has essentially ended at Sandy Hook when the nation has collective agree that it's okay for those kids to die... (by doing nothing)
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 7th, 2017 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    and gun debate has essentially ended at Sandy Hook when the nation has collective agree that it's okay for those kids to die... (by doing nothing)
    Pretty much the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Sure - I’d recommend starting with universal background checks and a system that ensures that people like this most recent shooter - who legally shouldn’t have been able to purchase guns under current law - are kept in the system.

This is something constitutional, feasible, and supported even by a vast majority of gun owners. Low-hanging fruit.
    Who pays?

I ask because my CCW cost $135 and took three weeks to process. If you want to bring that level of scrutiny to the ownership level who do you believe should pay for it?

I'm not saying you're wrong. I've just had this discussion many times before and it always stops when the discussion turns to practical matters, so I'm going to cut to the chase.

If you say 'the buyer pays' then you're back to having 2A problems. Keep in mind this is a country that says people don't have to show ID to vote because getting a free ID is too economically cumbersome for some of the population. Charging gun buyers to pay anything to purchase their firearm will be subject to that same line of reasoning.

If you say 'the government pays' then you have non-gun owners subsidizing a hobby that many don't care for, that's politically unpalatable.

How do you see it working?

I had to go through a background check to purchase my two S&W M&P15s here in California. I also had to take a test. I had to wait ten days to take possession.
    Total fees were, IIRC, a whopping $25. IMO, that's no real impediment, considering the cost of firearms.

California Firearms FAQ

That's the same level of background check that Devin Patrick Kelley passed to buy his. The question was about a higher level of scrutiny and who would pay for it. My CCW involved the Sheriffs office contacting the Dept of VA Affairs to ensure I didn't have adverse health records or disciplinary issues that would preclude me from concealing a handgun; meaning, an actual investigation.

What you're proposing is just a proxy for what we already have. PECS doesn't even talk to NICS, and I'm willing to bet my gun collection that PECS doesn't aggregate county level conviction information as the vast majority of counties in the US do not report to any overarching federal system. If looks like PECS only checks California databases, no wonder you got such a great deal on your background check. A functional universal background check requires a higher level of scrutiny to achieve what you're asking for. Which takes resources, which cost money.

And, we're back where we started.

Didn't this one pass the background check because the Air Force never reported any of his behavior to anyone outside the Air Force?

I'm certainly willing to pay more for background checks that are truly nationwide.

He failed a CCW background check but passed the ownership check because it was a self-certifying form. I don't know what database Texas uses for their checks. It doesn't look like the California system checks anything outside of California databases so it wouldn't have caught it either.

Are you saying you're willing to pay more for a check for yourself; or as a taxpayer you're willing to pay for everyone's checks? The former doesn't matter, the latter will be quickly found unconstitutional as an undue burden on the 2A right. Not even the 9th Circuit will be able to sustain that.

I'm willing to pay more for a check for myself if it's a truly nationwide background check. I also would be totally down with redirecting some of the money we spend on the War on Drugs towards subsidizing background checks for the less fortunate.

I was toying with this idea in my head and trying to come up with some kind of voucher system where the checks can somehow sustain themselves.

Then I remembered that the PA Turnpike collects huge sums of money that seem to disappear into the ether while the turnpike continues to suck in most places, and then I got sad.