Page 136 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

AP story is saying the woman hated Youtube because they demonetized her channel.

She'd been reported missing by her family after not answering her phone for two days. found by cops sleeping in a car in Mountain View and her father states he told police she was probably going to youtube since she hated the company. Police did not respond when asked about that part of the fathers statement.

Don't follow the details all that much: how many of these shootings involve shotguns and hunting rifles? (i.e.; firearms that aren't almost solely designed to kill humans)

Coincidental, but a well-written story by a long-time gun enthusiast worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/m...820180404&te=1

here were floor displays of AR-15s, and probably a hundred or more other rifles and shotguns for anyone to walk up and hold. I watched a kid about 8 or 9 pick up one of those ARs and shoulder it to the center of his chest. He held the gun awkwardly, cocked his head hard to the side, squeezed one eye closed to aim and dry-fired the weapon. I watched two men, presumably his father and grandfather, smile and laugh, then break out their cellphones to snap a few pictures.

...Maybe it’s how I was raised and the types of firearms my family kept, but the idea of owning a rifle designed for engaging human targets out to 600 meters just never interested me.

...A few days after the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., in February, I sat down with a buddy over coffee at the firehouse where he works. The news was on in the background. I told him I’d be fine with an assault-weapons ban. He cut a look in my direction as if I’d absolutely lost my mind. I asked him why anyone needs to own an AR, an AK, an SKS. He said that the question is irrelevant, that the reason doesn’t supersede the right. I could feel my blood pressure rising and my face getting warm. I could see in his eyes that he was equally agitated. Despite everything we have in common, despite the fact that he’s my best friend and we were going squirrel hunting in a few days, the two of us fundamentally disagree. Someone came into the room and changed the subject, and I could sense that he was as thankful as I was. As sad as it is to say, the silence is easier. While the two of us sat there sipping coffee, there were kids on the television in the background, high school survivors who were willing to say what we are not, and I was ashamed.

...We were at the back of the store looking in the glass case at 1911s. All of a sudden, her eyes got big and she raised her hands then ducked behind me and grabbed onto my arm. I turned and stared down the aisle where a kid who looked about 18 was aiming an AR-15 the salesman had handed him. The muzzle was pointed in our direction. Ashley was terrified. I’ve been at the counter enough to know the predicament — wanting to shoulder a rifle to test the feel but having nowhere sensible to aim. The kid lowered the rifle and went back to talking to the salesman, neither seeming to notice us standing there, Ashley frozen behind me.

On the way out, she just kept saying: “He was a kid. He looked like he should’ve been in high school. What does a kid need a rifle like that for? What does anybody need a rifle like that for?” And the truth was, I didn’t have an answer. The truth is, there are guns I feel justified in owning and guns I feel belong on battlefields. I know the reasons my friends give for owning these weapons, and I know that their answers feel inadequate to me. I know that part of what they’re missing or refusing to acknowledge is how fear ushered in this shift in gun culture over the past two decades.
    Last edited by tigeraid; April 4th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Don't follow the details all that much: how many of these shootings involve shotguns and hunting rifles? (i.e.; firearms that aren't almost solely designed to kill humans)

I could be wrong, but it seems like very, very few. That's the vast majority of firearms in Canada, too, where very little gun violence happens.

Cooler weather helped cool down angers perhaps. I'm sure if assault weapons are available up there, doesn't necessarily mean more Canadians will end up shooting up fellow Canadians more. Likewise, if Trump were to run for office there, that doesn't mean he will be elected.

You guys also have universal healthcare that'd take care of the mentally sick, right?

Depends where you access the mental health services. If they're referred by your family physician or within their "group" then yes, healthcare covers it. If you just walk into a psychiatrist's office out of the blue, no.

That's fine. I'm sure nobody just walks into a psychiatrist's office directly because the voices in his head is telling him to do so.

Most likely these types of folks do not wish to seek help. It'd be nice for the family doctors to make sure that he seeks the needed help.

For us, no money means no doctors. One just has to wait until ER admits him with medical emergency. If your sickness is not life threatening, nobody cares. We'll just have to wait until he hurts somebody, then we can once again put ER to work.

Anyway, besides relying on a national healthcare, we really need to pay more attention to our own families and friends too.

I know that part of what they’re missing or refusing to acknowledge is how fear ushered in this shift in gun culture over the past two decades.
    I hear AR sales are down significantly because Trump is president and there's little fear over losing access to them

Female Masturbatory Aid
    uUt when the NRA (haha, the NRA!) "suggests" that maybe they should ban "bump-stocks" (after Vegas), retailers sell out in a couple days.

Once again: you can't make this shit up.

https://splinternews.com/stoneman-do...ols-1825206724

A Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School teacher who said he’d be willing to arm himself while in the classroom has been arrested for reportedly forgetting his loaded Glock 9mm in a public restroom.

Sean Simpson, 43, left his loaded firearm in a bathroom stall at the Deerfield Beach Pier on Sunday, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office.

Simpson realized he had forgotten his gun “less than five minutes later,” according to the police report. When he went back to grab the gun he found that a homeless man had already taken the gun and fired it into a wall.
    Dunno whether to laugh or cry.