Page 152 of 186 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Well, for carrying, it varies pretty widely by state, but for Illinois, most questions can be answered here.

What's the point of owning something you can't operate? I mean, I guess there's collectors, but I assume the majority of guns and cars aren't part of a collection, but rather owned in case of being needed for use.

Varying rules/laws from state to state have always bothered me, but that's probably a discussion for another thread.

You're missing a key difference between mere operation on private property and operation on the public way.

Fair enough. But in both cases, I'd rather people be trained and licensed before using either, publicly or privately. I know I'm in the minority there.

Administrator
    Illinois' regulations seem decent to me except it seems like you can not have to go through significant parts of the process if you're a non-state resident. Looking at other states, is "carry" synonymous with "concealed carry", or is there another definition? Open carry often seems to be specifically mentioned separately.

Nope, open carrying can be truncated to simply carrying. Concealed carrying is usually truncated to CC, CCP, CCL, or other similarities. Now the fun part is where some states laws are different with the verbiage and such. I'm not going to get into the compacts of who can CC in what states and what states you can't. That's an entirely different discussion.

Many cities in Missouri, including my hometown which lies in the middle of Kansas City Metropolis, allows open carry. Until recently, you had to have a concealed carry permit or license to concealed carry. Now, Missouri doesn't require a CCP to conceal carry. Caveat of this, you aren't allowed to CC in certain areas WITHOUT a CCP/CCL. If caught in those areas, you could lose the firearm, be fined, or even face some legal rammifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Illinois' regulations seem decent to me except it seems like you can not have to go through significant parts of the process if you're a non-state resident. Looking at other states, is "carry" synonymous with "concealed carry", or is there another definition? Open carry often seems to be specifically mentioned separately.
    Apart from hunting, Illinois prohibits open carry.

For out of state permits, Illinois allows you to drive through the state with a pistol on your person or in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, but if you want to go on a day trip, it's supposed to be unloaded and secured in your trunk.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Nope, open carrying can be truncated to simply carrying. Concealed carrying is usually truncated to CC, CCP, CCL, or other similarities. Now the fun part is where some states laws are different with the verbiage and such. I'm not going to get into the compacts of who can CC in what states and what states you can't. That's an entirely different discussion.
    I'm looking at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state Open Carry is usually its own line item, and there's "Carry permits required", so that's the one that's confusing me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    Apart from hunting, Illinois prohibits open carry.

For out of state permits, Illinois allows you to drive through the state with a pistol on your person or in the passenger compartment of your vehicle, but if you want to go on a day trip, it's supposed to be unloaded and secured in your trunk.
    Was talking to a gun shop owner on Tuesday and he informed me in PA if you have a loaded magazine and firearm anywhere in the vehicle (even separated from each other in a locked trunk, etc) it's considered to be a loaded weapon. Basically I'm going to have to go get a CCW just to transport unless I want to load my magazines at the range.