Page 153 of 186 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Was talking to a gun shop owner on Tuesday and he informed me in PA if you have a loaded magazine and firearm anywhere in the vehicle (even separated from each other in a locked trunk, etc) it's considered to be a loaded weapon. Basically I'm going to have to go get a CCW just to transport unless I want to load my magazines at the range.
    Yeah, and you need to make sure that your states CCW is legit to even do that.

Missouri and illinois have not in the past. So, when a group of us drove to SC several years ago, we had to move magazines around in veghicles. My Glock mags and 9mm in his car, and his 1911 and 45acp in mine.

Tom, that's the frustrating thing about the current set of gun laws. The verbiage is usually confusing at best, and different everywhere.

Administrator
    My attempts to do some research to try to learn more all about this, combined with a second conversation last night about execution methods worldwide (saw that Japan hanged seven people behind the Sarin gas attack back in 1995) means that I really hope I don't end up caught up in some investigation because my google search history does not look good.

You wouldn't be on a search list. You aren't looking up anything crazy like nfa3 requirements, et Al.

Sorry Nate... Didn't mean to drag you back in.

I just think there's more that we could do to curb some of the problems that we are facing.

When I hear about all of the warnings that were made about some of the recent shooters it is really frustrating. Because a lot of the people saying that it's not guns, but mental health issues, or missed opportunities in reporting to law agencies, etc... Are the same people taking away mental health funding, and making it more difficult to report and track potential threats.

I was mostly teasing, I'm responsible for my actions.

That's what I'm saying. There are so many failing safeguards already, would be nice to modernize and get them working effectively rather than just writing more ineffective law. A buddy of mine does background checks for the transportation industry for a living and he says the number of different systems/databases that exist and the lack of interoperability of them make it very difficult to do a background check. For my security clearance at work it cost thousands of dollars because they paid a guy to travel around the country digging into my past. Really it should be doable from a single platform.

Unfortunately if you were to attempt to centralize it, you'd be greeted with cries of Big Govt, etc.

That's another part of the problem... MOST people are in favor of common fixes like that. But when so many attempts to help fix the problem are met with such hostility, and so many innocent people die in the mean time
    That's when gun law advocates get frustrated and say "Fuck it, just ban everything!"
    Because the gun lobby opposes any sort of solution.

That's why I think NRA needs to do something more, besides defending gun laws, help make owning guns safer for everyone too! If NRA doesn't help fix gun related problems, surely eventually somebody else will...

This is going to sound ridiculous, and even straw man fallacy, but here goes. this is all of the basis of saving people's lives.

but currently more people die a day from opioid overdose then do from guns. I personally I'm all about the lowest hanging fruit on protecting lives. The thing about guns is that it's a very emotional hit. you don't hear anybody crying too much about the current opioid epidemic. Because it's not emotional.

You don't even hear about inner city gun violence. Or suicides. Two issues that make up the huge majority of gun deaths. The news cycle only cares when some white kids are involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    This is going to sound ridiculous, and even straw man fallacy, but here goes. this is all of the basis of saving people's lives.

but currently more people die a day from opioid overdose then do from guns. I personally I'm all about the lowest hanging fruit on protecting lives. The thing about guns is that it's a very emotional hit. you don't hear anybody crying too much about the current opioid epidemic. Because it's not emotional.
    I think it's also because opioid overdoses effect the user, rather than killing bystanders.