Page 120 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122130170 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

I'll quote myself from a post earlier, because I don't want to type it out again, nor do I want to think further on the topic.

"What it really boils down to is the exclusionary attitudes we as a species have. We ignore people when we are made uncomfortable. We isolate people when we don't understand them. We remove any emotional attachment that they too, are human beings and need to feel loved and supported.

We as a society fail on that and many other areas. Our burden because of our failures is watching children get gunned down on national TV."

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    It is not fair to compare gun deaths to car deaths. A gun, when used it the manner for which it was designed, will kill something. A car, when used in the manner for which it was designed, should not hurt anything.
    Yup.

It is not fair to compare gun deaths to car deaths. A gun, when used it the manner for which it was designed, will kill something. A car, when used in the manner for which it was designed, should not hurt anything.
    It is fair to compare gun deaths to car deaths as I did, because I'm using it to illustrate scale. I'm not advocating for a car ban to prove a silly point. You can ignore the car statistic and just acknowledge as an absolute statement that guns kill very few people. If you take out suicides and accidental discharges the number shrinks significantly further.

It's hardly fair to say that guns are designed and used solely to kill people. By that logic you're calling myself, my wife, my parents, her parents, Ross, Tyler, and a large percentage of the US population murderers or would-be murderers. It's both unfair and illogical.

I get you're both upset and have an agenda, but you're being intellectually dishonest with statements like that.

Administrator
    Well, I'd like it to be harder to get guns and harder to get a driver's license, along with mandatory RFID chips in licenses and readers in cars that make it impossible to start the car if you don't have a license or it's suspended, so at least I feel like I'm somewhat consistent on that.

It is absolutely not dishonest to say guns are designed to kill. I also don't think all gun owners are would be murderers. I don't really see the jump in logic there. There are legitimate uses for guns, but you can't deny what their base purpose is. Those of us against guns don't really think the legitimate uses are all that relevant in a modern developed country. I feel like nuance gets lost in these discussions.

It sure does.

Sincerely, good luck. We're on the same side.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    By that logic you're calling myself, my wife, my parents, her parents, Ross, Tyler, and a large percentage of the US population murderers or would-be murderers. It's both unfair and illogical.
    Oh c'mon. You're a lawyer and you're making a logical fallacy.

Humans are the most dangerous part of the equation. Commercial aviation achieved zero death last year. When we have full autonomous driving or very strict 'car control' as commercial aviation, maybe we could also achieve zero death on the road too...

Maybe NRA, a non-govt group, needs to regulate themselves a bit more. Only when NRA decide to take on responsibility of 'gun control', then perhaps we can achieve zero gun deaths in America. Only their own kind can regulate their own kind... anybody else trying probably just won't work.

Oh c'mon. You're a lawyer and you're making a logical fallacy.
    I shoot paper with my guns. Sometimes water bottles, or if we're really having a good time a milk jug. One time we brought a hatchback lift gate from an old Civic. I have never even pointed any of my guns at a person. I've never even gone hunting, for that matter.

But, guns are only for killing, so it's just a matter of time before I get a taste for blood, right?

I'm not a lawyer, just a lowly 2L. My Constitutional Liberties professor was so busy being a LBGT activist he skipped the 2A lectures, sorry.

Oh, FFS.