Page 119 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Nah, I'd better not. This is the second time I'm deleting/editing a post in reply to G'day's post above.

I'd like to throw a big angry tantrum about this whole thing, but I'm trying to contain myself.

Somebody say something.
    Last edited by George; February 15th, 2018 at 02:58 PM.

Something

I haven't read any of this thread in months, I clicked by accident. But, George wants someone to say something, so I will.

Authorities had four opportunities to intervene with this individual. The school district twice (they expelled and banned him from the premises), the FBI who acted on a credible tip, and the local police who spoke to him about torturing animals. Through none of those interventions was he compelled to seek mental health help.

Those who continue to insist on blaming inanimate pieces of equipment need to accept the 4A reality and shift their focus toward lapses in the above interactions as it's relatively easier to effect change there than amend the Constitution.

Sorry guys. I just am bothered by that picture. I didn't kill them. You guys didn't kill them. Why should we have to see them?

But yes, I know why.

And I'd damn sure rather see them than the shooters, whom the media will not stop talking about. Make 'em fucking celebrities, why don't you, so other kids will think this is a great idea.

There are so many sides of this.

Part of me wants to say Confiscate All Guns!

Part of me wants to say Oh Hell No You Don't!

Part of me wants to say Lock Up People That Other People Say Are Bad Before They Kill!

Part of me wants to say You Can't Do That Without Due Process!

I don't know what to think. I'm just sad and getting sadder about all these killings.

I have two kids in elementary school.
    Last edited by George; February 15th, 2018 at 03:29 PM.

My mistake, I've been studying the 4A inside and out for the past five weeks. Obviously I meant to say "2A reality" above. Sorry, crossed wire.

I don't think people are really blaming the weapon in that they think the weapon went off by itself and killed a bunch of people. But rather the fact that we have easily accessible killing tools that are in the hands of people who are dangerous. Let's say we have very few to no guns in the US, does this guy end up killing 17? Is he determined enough to figure out a bomb situation? I'd say most mass shooters wouldn't be. They turn to the gun because it's easy. The US isn't alone in having deranged indicudals in the developed world. Yet the rest of the developed world doesn't have nearly as many mass murders. Why is that?

That being said. I absolutely think better healthcare and social safety nets would help lower the problem.

If I could 'flip the switch' and not have any more guns I'd do it. I've proposed, in this thread, actions that would eradicate gun ownership over the course of two or three hundred years. I just don't see a real actionable solution in our lifetime without a repeal of the 2A. So acknowledging that the best I can hope for is universal healthcare with strong mental health provisions.

I'm unlikely to see either in my lifetime, I think. Bleak, I know. But then gun violence is a relatively rare thing, it kills less than 4 people per 100,000 in the US (as of 2016). Cars kill 11 out of every 100,000, often in terrible, sad, random ways.

I'm sorry I don't have a workable solution. I'm not going to take it out on law abiding gun owners, though.

Yeah, realistically 2A isn't going anywhere, but I'm still of the opinion it should be repealed, so I'll shout about it when the opportunity arises ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is not fair to compare gun deaths to car deaths. A gun, when used it the manner for which it was designed, will kill something. A car, when used in the manner for which it was designed, should not hurt anything.