Page 101 of 186 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Until it's your kids, why should you care?

I mean, that's the attitude, right? "Seems sucky your kids are dead, but I don't see how this situation applies to me." An overwhelming portion of this country, and maybe the world, lives in a private bubble where they are vaguely aware of things happening elsewhere, but simply don't care - for whatever reason - until it happens to them. It's gun violence, it's drunk driving, it's fucking installing Windows updates. It's not a problem until it is.

I get that the world is a bit overwhelming, so much stuff to care about that if you had to actively care about all of it you'd never get anything done. But there is a gigantic grey area of planning in advance that nobody does. That's putting a fucking check box on a piece of paper so your kids have a much better chance of not getting shot, or a check box so in 30 years your diabetes can get treated, or putting your god damned cell phone down so you can react when something unexpected happens on the road. You don't need to worry about crazy people all the time, just once. Once.

I love the "it's not a problem til it's a problem" mentality, but that doesn't work anymore. One person can do a lot of damage quickly and easily. I don't think we can live under the delusion that we'll see it coming anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh yeah, that site's been garbage for years. I have a friend who, despite normally being smart, is seriously anti-GMO and regularly posts the most idiotic shit from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_News

Should I be angry when all the guys and gals at work are circulating that fucking idiotic "article", and I call them on the bullshit and provide various debunks, including snopes.... And their response is to say I'm "no fun" and I'm a buzzkill? WHY IS READING THIS BULLSHIT FUN FOR THEM!?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by drew
    B: "no amount of laws would have prevented this" - said after each one of these events.
    My favorite response to this is how you could say the same thing about abortions, but they don't seem to have any problem trying to pass laws restricting those. And while it's likely true, no amount of laws will prevent all of these shootings, they will prevent some of them. That's letting perfection be the enemy of progress - if it won't stop every single instance, then it's not worth trying to stop even some instances.

Except guns can be used for hunting or home protection, and you can't use an abortion for either. It's a false equivalency.

Administrator
    I disagree. The point isn't whether one is more deserving of protection when the argument is "The law wouldn't stop this." The equivalency is whether or not you think a law can prevent something. There are a ton of other examples of laws that exist that don't prevent bad things from happening, but do help keep them from happening as often. They're around driving, or building safety, or whatever. This was just one example.

1. Sarcasm doesn't translate over the internet, but
    2. It's easy to argue, event for event, laws against abortions would be more vastly effective than laws against guns. Abortions are a medical procedure, requiring tools and expertise. There isn't a stockpile of abortions somewhere. Most don't occur in an alley out of the trunk of a car or off Craigslist. Laws against abortions would be very effective. Laws against guns are demonstrably ineffective. More laws won't make them more effective.

I'm as anti-gun as people come, but there is no scenario where you can equate removal or control of what amounts to a commodity to control of a complicated service performed by people with a lot of training. We should try, but that comparison simply doesn't work on any level.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    All I know is, there's no reason for one person to be able to legally own 40+ guns

Actually, abortions are great for home protection, since the evidence points to the legalization of abortion being at least somewhat responsible for the massive drop in the US crime rate during the 90s. Unwanted kids often are raised in circumstances that, statistically speaking, make them more likely to commit crimes when they get older. This argument changed my mind on abortion back in the day.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Actually, abortions are great for home protection, since the evidence points to the legalization of abortion being at least somewhat responsible for the massive drop in the US crime rate during the 90s. Unwanted kids often are raised in circumstances that, statistically speaking, make them more likely to commit crimes when they get older. This argument changed my mind on abortion back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Laws against guns are demonstrably ineffective.
    Exhibit 1: Brazil.

At last count there are 310+ million guns in the US and that's a conservative estimate.

How do you control *anything* that has reached that level of saturation? The authorities could kick down every door in the country to round guns up and there'd still be millions of them out there.

I've basically come to accept that I live in a dangerous country and have to hope I never encounter an active shooting. Shitty, but that's how it is. If someone does come up with a way to make this shit stop, I'll be the first one on board, though.