Page 103 of 186 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Billi, your arguments are absurd.

Anyway, moving on, now the NRA is supporting banning bump stocks. This is such bullshit though... So now they get to say "Look, we made new gun laws, we fixed the problem," when all they did was ban one accessory that was only used in one mass shooting recently.

Fuck this.
    I agree mostly, but it is ONE step....one thing....more than we were expecting (unless they just wait a while and reverse their stance when no one is looking)

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Actually, abortions are great for home protection, since the evidence points to the legalization of abortion being at least somewhat responsible for the massive drop in the US crime rate during the 90s. Unwanted kids often are raised in circumstances that, statistically speaking, make them more likely to commit crimes when they get older. This argument changed my mind on abortion back in the day.
    I'm aware of that statistic, but I do wonder if it's coincidence. There are statistics that suggest kids per capita is skewed based on income, and it doesn't stand to reason - my reason anyway - that people with more money having fewer kids would have a significant affect on crime versus people with less money and more kids. Seems to me that Brittany's unwanted teenage pregnancy is not a bigger contributor to crime than Tammy Lynn's six, to make a truly reprehensible example. I mean, I don't know, but I'm dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I agree mostly, but it is ONE step....one thing....more than we were expecting (unless they just wait a while and reverse their stance when no one is looking)
    Yep, every little step is better than nothing.

Administrator
    Just so you all know, abortion was chosen due to the right's penchant for going after it. As mentioned, there are a TON of other laws that we keep on the books despite them not preventing things. Stop being so hung up on what made it a good snarky comment. There's drugs. There's speed limits. There are laws about how long truck drivers can go in one stint.

I swear, if I have to explain to any of you that it ruins the joke when you explain that most chickens live in coops and therefore wouldn't be crossing any roads, I'm going to lose my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    Well, considering the hotel where that guy mowed down hundreds of people from has a no weapons policy, I don't think your no gun zone idea really holds a lot of water.

One thing I am kind of interested in though is how it seems that there's no outward motive for what he did, but his father was a notorious bank robber. Genetics at play here?
    I listened to a podcast about sociopaths, serial killers, etc. A while ago and they have found a link to genetics for serial killers. The key to the person becoming a serial killer vs not was if they experienced a traumatic event as a child.

I do wonder if this may have been at play.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    Yes, just in the same way that Trump throwing rolls of paper towels to hurricane victims was one step.

Gimme a break, this is such fucking bullshit. You see how the NRA stays dead silent until they find the one thing they can win on and they'd be willing to give up, and then suddenly they act like they're so level headed and virtuous? And the media will fucking eat it up... GASP! New gun laws for the first time in 1000 years, it's a new day, how amazing!

Fuck this country.

Sounds like there's a rush on "bump-stocks" amid fears they'll be banned. I can see why ...

Looks like the gun merchants win out again after another mass shooting
    Last edited by G'day Mate; October 5th, 2017 at 02:54 PM.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    It's as if someone rammed their Jeep into a crowd and everyone started buying Jeeps after....

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

The gun saturation/availability problem is why I don't bother harping on regulation/law changes. They'd largely be innefective. The "solution" to gun violence in the US to me requires a three pronged approach. In broad terms:

- Political: Better social safety nets, and decreased income inequality. (a rising tide lifts all boats)

- Social: Trend towards acceptance of different peoples, life styles, religions, etc. Be more inclusive, less judgmental.

- Gun Availability: Only after the other two are worked on, can we begin to address this in a civil way. Once our society deems guns unnecessary, because they aren't either desperate or fearful (vague terms), maybe then, they'll be willing to give them up. MAYBE.

Basically, this is a problem that's never going to be fixed, because American culture revolves around "I got mine, fuck you."