Page 11 of 186 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

It isn't the NRA that is the problem.

Who then?

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Yeah, most do, because most people are somewhat reasonable. It's the loud minority, and 'decision makers'. Any talk about regulations or reform turns into a "they're going to take our guns and repeal the 2nd amendment" from the likes of the NRA, Fox News, or the clown car of GOP presidential candidates. Even the conservative public mostly wants universal background checks.
    I think that is what annoys me the most. Lawmakers are basing our laws, against a vast popular opinion, because a very small minority will get upset about it. They're being the loudest, so they get what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren
    I'm totally not for getting rid of guns. I think personal protection, collectability, and sport are all valid reasons for gun ownership. I don't however think it should be the wild fucking west everywhere, and I can't understand the rationale behind people who do.
    This, all of this -- you need a license to drive, you should damn well need a test and license to legally own a gun. It won't stop the criminal element from acquiring guns but it would be an arrestable offense in that case (as it should be).

Release the pot smokers and let the (eventual) illegal gun carriers break rocks instead.
    Last edited by novicius; July 2nd, 2015 at 07:39 AM.

Also, aren't the majority of gun deaths (or injuries?) accidents? Tests/licensing would certainly help that, as would better laws/penalties for improper gun ownership. Apparently the thought of losing a child isn't enough for some parents to store their guns properly, maybe a mandatory minimum of 20 years in prison would?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LHutton View Post
    Would the NRA really kick-off simply for requiring a gun license to be shown on purchase? Seems to me that would work in their favour ultimately. Slight reduction in gun crime, less hassle from the media, completely doesn't affect law-abiding gun owners.
    No, apparently they're against ANY new regulations as they think it's all some slippery slope to taking people's guns away....or that's what they tell their members.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    No, apparently they're against ANY new regulations as they think it's all some slippery slope to taking people's guns away....or that's what they tell their members.
    I can actually believe that. Probably why they involved themselves in the Zimmerman trial even though that had fuck all to do with gun rights.

Who then?

Did the previous responses give you your answer?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I think that is what annoys me the most. Lawmakers are basing our laws, against a vast popular opinion, because a very small minority will get upset about it. They're being the loudest, so they get what they want.
    If only we heard the true story about the healthcare and insurance industries actual power in Washington...if we think the NRA is bad.

Showing a firearms certificate when buying a gun should at least be a minimum requirement in all states.
    Is that not already standard procedure?

Seems pretty common sense to me.