Page 118 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Most U.S. citizens support gun ownership<==>NRA
    I think it's kinda like the chicken or the egg thing. One exists because of the other. Same difference.

Only difference is the supporters love guns and NRA loves money.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I don't even understand this comic -- what does the NRA have to do with anything? As a lobbying group? As a means of laundering Russian money maybe?

Most U.S. citizens support gun ownership, period, NRA or no. #shrug #deadissue
    According to Gallup, 42% of Americans have a gun, 60% believe laws concerning the sale of firearms should be made more strict, 39% are satisfied with current gun laws/policies while 59% are not, and it's nearly even on a ban for the manufacture or sale of semi-automatic guns known as assault rifles (48% for a ban, 49% agains, 3% no opinion). 96% favor required background checks for all gun purchases, 75% favor a 30 day waiting period for all gun purchases, and 70% favor requiring all privately owned guns to be registered with the police.

The NRA, as a general rule, opposes any regulation and the politicians they donate a lot to tend to...well...return the favor. Similarly, 80% of Americans think a failure to identify mentally ill people contributes either "a great deal" (48%) or "a fair amount" (32%) to mass shootings, but Trump, who received over $30 million from the NRA, kills an Obama era regulation making it harder for mentally ill people to get firearms.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 15th, 2018 at 09:31 AM.

Ok yes...? I'm certainly not refuting anything you're posting Swervo, yet by the same token none of that refutes the fact that most U.S. citizens support gun ownership.

I just think that the NRA, while a terrible lobbying organization, ultimately is just servicing a market. That market isn't going to go away if the NRA gets litigated into the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I just think that the NRA, while a terrible lobbying organization, ultimately is just servicing a market. That market isn't going to go away if the NRA gets litigated into the history books.
    The market might not go away, but the legislation to allow intelligent gun control will get proposed. Right now the NRA pays a HUGE amount of money to Congress so nothing gets done.

Administrator
    It doesn't, the majority of US citizens do support handgun ownership. The NRA also opposes a lot of policies that the majority believe would help prevent mass shootings, but pay handsomely to make sure those laws don't get enacted. That's my take on the cartoon, at any rate.

I agree with both of your points but looking at the big coast-to-coast picture, U.S. peeps want their guns, simple as that.

Knock the NRA down and any one of a number of sportsmen or enthusiast lobbying groups are in existence right now waiting to take their place, NRA-fronts or fully independent NRA-despising groups alike.

Basically I'm just saying that the problem isn't production, access, rights, whatever -- it's an appetite problem. The majority wants their guns, that's it. Hold a vote, they win fair and square. No amount of Sandyhooks is gonna change that aspect.

True. Only when most Americans find gun ownership no longer as appetizing will NRA eventually loses it's lobbying power. NRA for sure isn't the root cause... getting rid of it will only cause another to step up and take its place.

Anyway, I still believe with enough Sandy Hooks, people should eventually lose their appetite... and possibly begin to vomit. That day obviously hasn't come yet, but it will. Hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Wonder when will we reach a tipping point...
    It should have been Sandy Hook

It was mind boggling that Sandy Hook wasn't enough...

Here's an op ed piece written by a pastor..., maybe prayers are beginning to work.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/341392002/