Page 121 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That being said. I absolutely think better healthcare and social safety nets would help lower the problem.
    My favourite American politics for Australians TV show made this point too in fact, and very well. At the time I couldn't find the clip or I would have posted it in here.

As to the "opportunities to intervene" - obviously it's easy to analyse one of these events after the fact and see all the warning signs, but this guy was known to the FBI, right? I wonder how many such people they have on their books (so to speak), what powers they have to monitor them and whether they could even effectively intervene. Maybe they can't, or maybe they already do and it happens all the time? Who is ultimately responsible for saying "hey, this guy looks like he needs a hug"?

Agreed, Cam. This is why I don't do this thread. People married to their ideas to the point of irrationality is not good for discourse.

There is a reason that there are gun owners in this community but they don't post in this thread often. Why would they bother coming her to get talked past by people that have no concept of what it means to own and operate a firearm. This thread is a place for people to daydream about an America with no 2A, who don't think to do anything about it until a mentally ill person kills some people.

G'day, if any of the authorities would have pursued it enough to get him characterized as mentally ill he would not have been able to legally purchase the weapon as he would have failed the background check. This particular case is a perfect illustration of how poor the system works. As I said, the authorities had to step in at least four times but he was never flagged by NICS. The background check system is one of the many flaws surrounding how weapons are sold and transferred, and that's where people can make meaningful strides in curbing this kind of violence. It won't fix everything but it does erect barriers.

But, most people are so caught up in bans and blanket confiscations that they lose sight of what they're trying to achieve.

Here's the episode I'm talking about ... http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/...ctober/9024822

Hopefully it can be viewed outside of Australia. The bit at the beginning is ok, but the best bit is at about 11:30 (or skip straight to 14:30 where they start to analyse some stuff)
    Last edited by G'day Mate; February 15th, 2018 at 07:30 PM.

Yup, it loads.

Actually I don't think this has quite all the details I was thinking of. I remember them delving into some of the stuff Jason mentioned as well once.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I agree with both of your points but looking at the big coast-to-coast picture, U.S. peeps want their guns, simple as that.
    Nah, it's nowhere near as simple as that. As was pointed out, most of America doesn't want the current gun laws. The NRA does (or actually wants less), and keeps them by paying of politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Sorry guys. I just am bothered by that picture. I didn't kill them. You guys didn't kill them. Why should we have to see them?

But yes, I know why.

And I'd damn sure rather see them than the shooters, whom the media will not stop talking about. Make 'em fucking celebrities, why don't you, so other kids will think this is a great idea.
    They (we) are getting better about that. As some may know, I work in local news, in this case, the market that this happened in. We were on from around 3pm (not sure, I wasn't in yet) yesterday until midnight, without a single commercial. On all morning. Did about an hour extra coverage this afternoon. In that time, I'd say we (and the other stations) gave about 80%-20% coverage to victims/vigils over the shooter himself. During the time I directed, we only showed the shooter twice for his arraignment during the big recap sections, and once his mug during a live presser in which the Sheriff was talking about him, I think. Meanwhile, we showed pictures and rear aloud the names of every victim at least once every 15-20 minutes.

When I wasn't directing, I'm usually in the back where I can keep an eye on the other local and news stations. I noticed CNN was better about it too. Didn't watch much MSNBC. Fox News was by far the most political (other than possibly MSNBC which I didn't really pay attention to). Pretty much every time I looked at it, they were doing a segment about how liberals want to politicize it and take yur guns.

to your emphasizing victims over the shooter bit.

Hopefully someday the ratio will be down 1% about the loser shooter... and yes, refer to them as losers!

Dodint, what exactly are you agreeing with me about?

You make incorrect assumptions about me, fabricate a logical fallacy to put in my mouth, troll me, then complain that you cannot have a conversation in here to your satisfaction. Oh, then you go on to troll everyone else who does not like guns.

Have you considered that you might be the problem, as in, you are the reason you cannot have a civil conversation in here?
    Last edited by Cam; February 16th, 2018 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    I shoot paper with my guns. Sometimes water bottles, or if we're really having a good time a milk jug. One time we brought a hatchback lift gate from an old Civic. I have never even pointed any of my guns at a person. I've never even gone hunting, for that matter.
    Yes, you can do target shooting with guns. BUT, you can easily do target shooting with non lethal forms of firearms, so I still don't see the purpose for guns in a modern developed society. Or hell, it'd be relatively easy enough to have guns only at ranges, or hunting lodges, that needed to be rented by licensed individual for the activity at hand. There are ways through this, that still allow for hobbies, while removing them from private ownership.

And no, I don't assume you are a murderer who will eventually have a taste for blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    Nah, it's nowhere near as simple as that.
    Reality is showing that it absolutely is as simple as that.

The demand is here, the 2A is here, the guns are here. You live in a pro-gun country. My child will go to school in a pro-gun country. There is absolutely nothing that will change any of that. #shrug #wildwest