Page 127 of 186 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

❤❤

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    Have been trying to avoid this topic as i know my opinions may rub people the wrong way.

As an outsider i honestly see similarities between the USA and all the middle eastern/European countries that are always at war/bombing each other etc. The only difference really being that the USA is a much more advanced country that still manages to have a government and law enforcement etc that can keep relative control of things, so that cities aren't being bombarded every few days.

It's the fact that people like me in the USA can walk around with (state dependant)/have all sorts of guns in our houses and it's deemed as 'normal'. To an outsider, in a country with really strict gun control laws like NZ, it's really bewildering and shocking that many Americans consider it 'normal/necessary'. Like it honestly makes me compare it to the war torn countries. USA just looks a lot nicer and still has a decent law enforcement/less trigger happy government.

Don't bash me for saying this, as it's just how things seem from over this side of the world.

Admittedly when we were in the USA last year the only people we saw with guns were police officers, and only in the airport at Houston (?) and the officers in Times Square. But because that's not what we see every day, the media gives us the impression that things are pretty mental (even though we've been there and remember it differently). Personally i'm pretty sure i've never even picked up a real gun.

I don't think it'll change much, but i'm pleased to see so many big companies like Chubb, Hertz, United, Delta etc drop support for the NRA and hope it continues to a point where something civilised starts to happen - like better restrictions/checks/requirements etc to purchase/own a gun. Assault rifles though should be goneburger to the public, because there is no fvcking need at all to have them in a civilised country! It's bloody absurd!

And don't get me started on the 'amendment right' to own a gun (or whatever it is). That was probably fine back in the day when guns took a good minute or so to load and there were civil wars all over the place, but in a first world civilised country it just seems backwards and bizzare. In my (and other New Zealanders i know) opinion.
    As a former foreigner and now 24 year resident and citizen, carrying guns around IS backwards and bizarre!!!

Junior Potato
    It's a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineObsession View Post
    In my (and other New Zealanders i know) opinion.
    And in plenty of Americans'.

There's a large portion in the middle that would love to get rid of guns, but think we shouldn't because there are already too many, so criminals will always have them, so they need them too. You'll find a lot of liberals in this mindset. Kind of a catch-22, I guess.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I've always been baffled by the "there are too many guns now, making them illegal will only allow criminals to have them" point of view. While that may, or may not be the case, the result is the same, they just don't even attempt anything.

The fact that they announce a given senator/congressman as "so and so 'who has a [letter] NRA rating'", is fucking appalling. That should have NO factor in anything, but yet, it's THE factor.

Get money and lobbying out of this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    I've always been baffled by the "there are too many guns now, making them illegal will only allow criminals to have them" point of view. While that may, or may not be the case, the result is the same, they just don't even attempt anything.

The fact that they announce a given senator/congressman as "so and so 'who has a [letter] NRA rating'", is fucking appalling. That should have NO factor in anything, but yet, it's THE factor.

Get money and lobbying out of this shit.
    Bad guys will get guns.... the real criminals... organized crime, bike gangs, and the like...

Joey disaffected white boy in Tusla, won't have a clue where to get a gun.

If we ban manufacturing and sale within the US, those illegal guns will slowly trickle away too, as they are confiscated over time. We'll just have to make sure that there isn't a mass of importing.

It'd be a real challenge to ban manufacturing of them here though.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    I bet AR style rifles are probably still flying off racks right now. It happens every time there's a shooting, and they start the "we need to do something" shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    If we ban manufacturing and sale within the US, those illegal guns will slowly trickle away too, as they are confiscated over time. We'll just have to make sure that there isn't a mass of importing.

It'd be a real challenge to ban manufacturing of them here though.
    This is what we should do, IMO.
    They can still manufacture them for the military. Just don't allow citizens to have them.