Page 178 of 186 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    And all those people who think he’s a hero because they think he ‘destroys’ the opinions and rights of women, feminists and trans people? Are they not cozy in their bubbles of bigotry and hate?
    Maybe we can start a Peterson thread or do this in the political thread as we are deviating away from guns more and more.

However, those issues are all very similar IMHO. All driven by fear. It’s fear that drove gun sales... the left threatening to ban guns only increase that fear and cause increase in gun sales...

Peterson’s approach is basically to ease their fears... solving the root problem rather than just focusing on guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Wow I am actually genuinely simultaneously surprised and not surprised that Billi has fallen for Jordan Peterson’s charms.

Choke me until I come!
    Choke yourself, it's more memorable that way.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Is a power base like a power bottom?
    Pretty much

The SCOTUS has granted certiorari in New York State Rifle & Pistol Assn. v. City of New York, which is the first 2A case accepted by the Court in over eight years. Currently NYC bans handgun owners who live in the City from transporting their handguns anywhere outside the city, even if they would be transported locked and unloaded, and even if the transportation would be to a licensed shooting range. The question presented by the petition for certiorari was "Whether the City’s ban on transporting to a licensed range outside city limits is consistent with the Second Amendment, the Commerce Clause, and the constitutional right to travel." There is a theory that SCOTUS has been denying certiorari in 2A cases for the last eight years because Justice Kennedy was beginning to waver and possibly flip his position away from RKBA. It's interesting now that Kavanaugh is seated the court immediately accepts a 2A case.

So far, the Second Circuit also functionally held that the 2A has limited or no application outside the home. This case presents the opportunity to clarify that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms includes the right to both keep and bear arms.

Is this for people that don't have a concealed carry permit?

Yes and no.

NYC doesn't have concealed carry for the general public. New York state concealed permits are not valid in the city. You have to be a retired police officer or an armed guard to get one. So if you own a handgun in NYC right now you cannot take it out of your home, even to go to a range to practice. Even if it's unloaded and broken down in a locked container.

It's no secret that I don't like guns, but that seems like bullshit.

Saw bits of a Doogie Howser episode early this morning where Doogie gets robbed in his home at gunpoint and tries out guns at a gun range and then eventually (I think) decides he's going to study self-defence instead (I didn't realize how long the show had gone, and I think the self-defence class was the last scene before the blog signoff). If you answer the door to someone who points at gun at you, a gun in your bedroom isn't going to help. But it might seem that self-defence training could get you into even more trouble.

Season 4, Episode 3, Number 78, October 7, 1992. Prod. code 1407

OCTOBER 1, 1992... Life teaches you that you have
    to be ready for anything. But being ready for anything
    is more than being ready for the worst. It's also
    being ready for the best.

http://doogiehowser.wikia.com/wiki/P...ie_Howser,_M.D.
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 23rd, 2019 at 02:38 PM.

Administrator
    And the music that plays as he types into that antiquated computer to tell us all the moral of the episode is immediately in my head. Thanks, Steven Bochco.

So if you own a gun in NYC, but decide to move out of the city, you just have to leave the gun behind...

I guess you could melt it down?