Page 186 of 186 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186
Results 1,851 to 1,857 of 1857

Thread: Gun control

I've kept my cool on the FB post because honestly, I want an actual discourse there. It won't change anything, but who knows, maybe something positive can come from it.

Here, is free game.

I am so tired of dealing with violence as often as I do working at a pediatric hospital. These are fucking kids and they are getting shot at something that is supposed to be happy.

We need to talk to our children, and guide them through struggles and tough times.

We need to educate them to be ambassadors of expressing ones feelings and walking away when things are going to spark an outburst.

We need to do better at allowing humans to be humans, expressing their feelings, and communicating their needs. But making fun of them because they have needs.

Kids, being shot, because of a disagreement. Fucking do better.

-------_------

I was activated for a mass casualty situation on my day off. I'm team A, so I am the first to report to the hospital as a rotation.

I'm the group who is walking into an unknown situation, and thankfully yesterday was nothing more than a practice run, for me and my teams.

That's great, right. Not really. It is life shattering.

Background.

When you join the medical profession, you are joing a group of people who are signing on a dotted line, for anything life can throw at you and the world around you.

Think about that for a second.

That insane 1-of-1 genetic disease that nobody knows how to treat, and your team is busting their ass to be palliative care. Knowing it is only delaying the inevitable outcome of suffering and death. But you still do it. Day in and day out.

You sign up for an unknown Global pandemic where people call you a liar, a shill, dumb, uneducated, part of the problem. Then say you are over-reacting as friends of yours die from a disease which there is a way to reduce your severity, possibly saving your life.

You sign up for the possible scariest scenario of all. A mass casualty.

Think of 9/11, or an earthquake/tsunami/whatever. You are part of a team that needs to be there. To help those who need it most, with the least amount of resources. Max chaos. Max stress. There isn't a gradual increase of stress in the pandemic sense. It's a flood of need. Unrelenting. It's traumatic just receiving the page. Because people need you. Their family needs you. The community needs you.

Administrator
    The really shitty part about this is that I think most of us just stopped posting in this thread every time there's a mass shooting because a) the same arguments go in circles (and notably nothing changes) and b) it happens so often we got de-sensitized.

The "second amendment says I can have anything I want" argument won just through sheer force of will. And now we're here.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    You mean, like all the fucking police in the area???

Argument debunked
    What I meant was if everyone had one then it would have been a shootout of epic proportions where there is no one left standing to report it…hence it didn’t happen.

Administrator
    Yeah, y'all are definitely both in agreement on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    You mean, like all the fucking police in the area???

Argument debunked
    Something something stop a shooting something something good guy with a gun.

Never mind several squads of trained "good guy with a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    What I meant was if everyone had one then it would have been a shootout of epic proportions where there is no one left standing to report it…hence it didn’t happen.
    Absolutely.

Sorry, the aggressive vocabulary and grammar was not pointed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Something something stop a shooting something something good guy with a gun.

Never mind several squads of trained "good guy with a gun."
    Texas megachurch shooting was stopped by an off duty officer I think. A classic trained good guy with a gun. Stopped the shooting with just a single casualty, the shooter herself.

So it could work, if we really have a ‘well regulated militia’. Main problem I think is that we don’t have it ‘well regulated’. Any crazy Tom dick or Stanley could get a gun legally, never mind illegally.