Page 54 of 186 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    As of next summer, there are going to be a lot of guns at my work. Its one of the stupidest things ever.
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/...-in-classrooms
    That is absolutely madness. Is Kansas trying to implode?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Hopefully one day, these republican legislatures will go too far and the morons will wake up and vote for more sensible people..........but I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by Sad, little man View Post
    An unknown gun owned by someone long gone... Under a pillow?? "So that's why that pillow felt so hard all these years!"

Yes, gun control is the government's responsibility. The government has a responsibility to keep people safe from all kinds of threats, and they do, just not guns.

No, if she backed over her kid in the driveway, we shouldn't ban cars. Cars are primarily a method of transportation, and they only kill people when used in an accidental or nefarious way. Guns don't have another primary use. They are pretty much just made to kill things. If I could drive a gun to work and it wasn't expressly designed to fire little pieces of lead out of the end of it at fatal velocities, I'd say, hey, maybe let's keep the guns. They help us get to work. But they don't, do they?

There's a reason no one bats an eye when I show up to work in my car, but they'd be scared shitless if I came to work with a gun.
    If you actually drive your car into your office, I'm sure it'll have the same effect as bringing your gun to your office.

Police carry guns all the time... and their primary purpose isn't just to kill people, but for protection.

We definitely need better gun control (from govt side) and better gun education(owner side).

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Police carry guns all the time... and their primary purpose isn't just to kill people, but for protection.
    They protect by (threatening to) inflict major bodily harm. If they couldn't potentially harm you, they wouldn't be useful for protection.
    Get that weak shit off my track

My point is sometimes weapons can be for defensive purposes too, not always an offensive tool.

Police's primary function is to protect and serve, not to attack the people of the community.

Likewise 2nd amendment is there for the protection of the citizen against the government.

We just need to have gun control measures that ensure that gun owners still feel that their rights aren't violated, and at the same time, be able to protect the rest of us who don't own guns!

At this point, even if we were to ban guns, tragedies like this poor grandkid might still happen because we wouldn't be able to remove all of the guns that are already out there. (Not to mention the banning of guns might cause another civil war!)
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; May 12th, 2016 at 10:12 AM.

Billi should change his name to Osmium.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Reference missed.

sorryl

Osmium is the densest naturally occurring element, with a density of 22.59 g/cm3.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    One would think.
    There have been a variety of meetings at all different levels on campus, and they've all ended up amounting to "Well, 99% of people hate this idea and think its crazy, but there's jack shit we can do about it." Seriously, there are something like 70-75 major buildings on the main campus alone, and the only way to make a building gun-free under this idiotic law is to have metal detectors on every public entrance. Plus, our campus is somewhat unusual in that its built on a hill with some of the buildings spilling down the sides and subsequently having multiple entrances going to multiple floors and/or exterior stairwells. And some of the other buildings are ~6 stories tall and have small and crowded entraceways to begin with, making it somewhat difficult for students to get in/out in the allotted time during breaks between classes already.

It'd be a trainwreck even if we could possibly afford it in the face of increasing education cuts. Our only hope is to somehow get it overturned, but nobody really think that's likely to happen.

Interesting note: The current (completely reviled) governor is supposedly considering stepping down to take up the vacant presidency of Kansas State University. Poor bastards.
    -Formerly Stabulator