Page 65 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

I get that any politician who comes out with 'ban guns' won't stand a hope in hell of re-election and will likely receive death threats from dozens of nutjobs but isn't it about time someone tries to do something? I see no realistic requirement or need for a Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle other than for shooting other people as quickly as possible or for personal gratification. You sure as hell can't go hunting with one. Or you could. And shoot one thing two or three times before every other animal within a mile radius runs, flies or swims away. But it appears that politicians care more about re-election and staying on the gravy train than real change.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    I get that any politician who comes out with 'ban guns' won't stand a hope in hell of re-election and will likely receive death threats from dozens of nutjobs ...
    That's the irony. Take people's guns away because they're unstable and prone to violence....people who are unstable and prone to violence make death threats.

I see no realistic requirement or need for a Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle other than for shooting other people as quickly as possible or for personal gratification. You sure as hell can't go hunting with one. Or you could. And shoot one thing two or three times before every other animal within a mile radius runs, flies or swims away. But it appears that politicians care more about re-election and staying on the gravy train than real change.
    Why not? a bolt action round isn't any different than one fired from a semi auto.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    The gun nuts on FB are saying that an AR-15 doesn't actually fire that fast. That's cute:

Admittedly, that guy's a competitive speed shooter but still, I think that a healthy 29 year old man with good reflexes and a little practice could probably pull off something in the neighborhood of 2+ rounds per second with decent short range accuracy without a lot of difficulty. It's a very smooth low recoil gun to shoot. I found it to be the easiest gun to shoot accurately and quickly that I've ever tried.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Hell freezes over.

I get that any politician who comes out with 'ban guns' won't stand a hope in hell of re-election and will likely receive death threats from dozens of nutjobs but isn't it about time someone tries to do something? I see no realistic requirement or need for a Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle other than for shooting other people as quickly as possible or for personal gratification. You sure as hell can't go hunting with one. Or you could. And shoot one thing two or three times before every other animal within a mile radius runs, flies or swims away. But it appears that politicians care more about re-election and staying on the gravy train than real change.
    Have you ever been coyote hunting? A bolt action rifle won't do much good when 15-20 of those fuckers are literally attacking anything they can get close to. People included.

When you do hunt coyotes, the idea is to usually wound the first one, so the others turn on him. Speed of follow up shots it damned important. This is compounded when they haven't eaten in a while, and nothing scares them.

Administrator
    Where in the fuck do people go coyote hunting? And why? I mean, we get coyotes out here, but as far as I know, nobody's running around hanging their heads on their wall as trophies...

Out in the boonies by my cousin, they do it to keep small to medium-sized livestock alive. The horses and cows don't have much to fear from coyotes, but things like alpacas, goats, and chickens do.

Coyotes in rural areas in the Midwest actually have fewer sources than in urban areas (which are abundant in rabbits, rats, mice, squirrels, feral cats, etc), so they tend to be more scraggly and desperate.

Administrator
    Alright, fair enough.