Page 82 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

The problem is that hunting is not the only reason for someone in the US to own a gun. For "self defence" means people will need easy access to their guns, so they won't lock them up safely.

I began to think more about the responsibilities of gun owners rather than gun owners' rights
    That says a lot

I don't think that is even a thought in most US gun owners minds.

Even when I took a hunter's safety course in high school, I realized how dangerous guns were, and how easily something could go wrong. Just making everyone who wanted a gun take that class and pass a test would go a long way, I think.

If you drive a car you need to take lessons and pass a test. As shown in Nice, vehicles can be pretty deadly weapons. The same should apply for guns. Take gun safety lessons and have to show you're a responsible owner and you won't leave it in your purse or bedside drawer for your four year old Son to find and shoot your two year old daughter with.

I never took drivers ed. It isn't required or at least wasn't at the time. Took a two written tests and a single driving test.(one written for permit, one for actual license)
    No one told me it was a bad idea to run into things or hit people with it. Its common sense.

How many people with DUIs still drive their cars? You know... illegally without a license or insurance or even registration.

Most weapons used in crimes are obtained ILLEGALLY. Gang members and such don't tend to just visit the gun store. various studies seem to say that only in 3% of firearms crimes were the weapons obtained via legal means.

There should still be a test you should have to pass in order to get a license, even without having to take a class. And each gun should be registered to a specific individual.

How many cars are obtained illegally? If you make people register firearms and transfer ownership if they sell it, there's far less chance for someone to get them illegally.

No one is going to buy a gun and give it to their cousin who's in a gang, if it's registered to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    There should still be a test you should have to pass in order to get a license, even without having to take a class. And each gun should be registered to a specific individual.

How many cars are obtained illegally? If you make people register firearms and transfer ownership if they sell it, there's far less chance for someone to get them illegally.

No one is going to buy a gun and give it to their cousin who's in a gang, if it's registered to them.
    And if the law is changed so that if the gun isn't reported stolen it makes them an accessory.

And make it illegal to possess a gun that isn't registered in your (or your family's) name.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with this solution. As long as you are a legal gun owning citizen.
    And there should be a yearly registration renewal, just like cars.

I know it wouldn't do anything for the current illegal guns out there. But, we have to start somewhere. And hopefully we'd get to a point eventually where there are fewer and fewer illegal guns. From them getting confiscated. And fewer guns in general from people not wanting to pay a yearly fee.

I'm sure there are quite a few people that would change their mind about buying a gun if they had to pay a yearly fee for each one.