Page 87 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    *High five

Though I do think there needs to be more regulation when owning a gun. Like if I have to have insurance and a license and register my car why don't I if I own a gun?
    Because some people own 500+ guns.

It could get redonkulous, and kinda falls into the "illegal search and seizure" aspect.

We're not given the right to own and drive cars by founding fathers.

However criminals and mentally unstable should lose that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    *High five

Though I do think there needs to be more regulation when owning a gun. Like if I have to have insurance and a license and register my car why don't I if I own a gun?
    I'm curious what "gun insurance" looks like to you. Can you please elaborate?

Insurance for when you accidentally shoot someone to cover the medical expenses?

Surely it's more than that. The proportional difference certainly doesn't warrant a whole new insurance sector.

GUN:AUTO (Annual)
    Accidental deaths: 600:19,000
    Accidental injuries: 200,000:2,300,000

C'mon, man.

Not to mention that regular healthcare coverage covers this kind of trauma. Average accidental gunshot healthcare cost is $14,000 per incident.

It's almost like this new requirement would only be there as an annoyance, a barrier to entry. Kind of like when I say a bicyclist should be licensed and insured to use public roadways. The difference of course is that firearms are Constitutionally protected and bicycles are not. But I digress.

Interestingly, I googled the numbers of registered cars vs. the number of guns owned to see how those numbers really compare, and came up with about 260 million of both!

I think the constitutional protection of firearms is stupid. I don't think they should be outlawed completely, but to pretend they're some kind of divine right is stupid. I think it should be much harder to get a gun license than a car license, and that you should have to get it to operate any and all guns, and that all guns should have to be registered, and there should be steep punishments for improper usage/storage, failure to report lost or stolen, etc...

It should be more involving to own a gun than any other possession (not financially). Though I never really thought about insurance, I'd have to think about that more. My first thoughts are no.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Some jackass here stole a truck with guns in it a couple nights ago.

Happens all the time, but in this case, two glaring points arose (at least to me, lost on everybody else...) when they mentioned the truck had guns in it, and showed a picture of them:

1: The truck had one AR15 and three pistols (and extra mags for all). My point, whomever this fucktard is that leaves that kind of stash in their vehicle, they should be fined as well. Just because you have the right to own one, doesn't necessarily mean you have the common sense/responsibility to do so, or should. Luckily, in this case, no one was shot. Additional "rule" to owning a gun: if you store them in your car, and they get stolen/used for nefarious reasons, you're an accomplice (to a lesser degree), and thus, should have to face some sort of penalty. People whose kids shoot themselves, because they had their gun sitting on top of the fridge, loaded are (most of the time) charged for negligence/etc. The same should apply in this case.

2: This was my bigger "what the fuck!?". One of the pistols had a silencer on it. While silencers aren't illegal (if you have the ridiculously expensive/laborious federal permit (unless this has changed??)), seeing one in this context seems odd. I would be more inclined to follow up with the owner of the truck, to see if he/she had all their shit in order to own such a thing. It used to be, back in the day, you could have a silencer, but with that, you paid $$$/year for the (federal) permit, and essentially consented to spontaneous/random checks with the ATF/FBI to inspect your "arsenal". At least I hope it's still that way. If it's not, that's fucking terrifying.

Funny thing is that, depending on jurisdiction, whoever stole the truck could be charged with a felony for committing a robbery involving a firearm. I can point to case law where some folks broke into a house and stole a safe. They didn't know what was inside the safe, but there was a loaded pistol in there. They went to jail for a long time because they committed a crime that involved a firearm. I find it funny, mainly because I don't heist things.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    That I can kinda see (if not a bit stretching it). I'm talking about the fuckwad that leaves 4 guns in their truck. They should have some "Common Sense" policy where you're fined for such fuckwittery.

If this were a case like you stated, and they were all in a safe, I think the owner would be exempt.

They've had multiple instances of guns being stolen out of police cars here. Parked at their home for the night, and they broke in and stole everything out of it. If I were sheriff, that officer would be shit-canned. There are guns stolen from cars (cops/everybody) at least once a week it seems (in Jax). A few times, the stolen gun was used for a robbery. I still stand that the person that the gun belongs to, should at least be partly to blame for the crime.

A car is not a gun safe.

Yeah. I wasn't really responding to you, I just thought the precedent was interesting.