Page 99 of 186 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun control

Anyway, don't know if the shooting is politically motivated or not, but if this latest incident can cause some country conservatives to rethink about their position with regard to gun rights, maybe the tide is starting to change.

I do generally agree it'll be nearly impossible to stuff all the guns back inside the pandora's box... Same with asking all the nations on earth to give up nukular arms!

We are usually too stupid to know what's good for us..., but never say never.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    ironically....the argument about people using cars which can be killing machines...in 10 years or so may be an outdated argument as cars are becoming self-driving, partially because people are idiots when driving.

Administrator
    The thing is, we're going to end up having a similar argument about self driving cars. That whole thing only works if *all* cars are self-driving, and you don't even have the option of taking over. There's no way in hell that'll happen. Even if we could mandate that every car on the road has to either be self-driving or retrofitted to be self-driving, people will demand that there be a way to override the self-driving mode and take over manual control.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The thing is, we're going to end up having a similar argument about self driving cars. That whole thing only works if *all* cars are self-driving, and you don't even have the option of taking over. There's no way in hell that'll happen. Even if we could mandate that every car on the road has to either be self-driving or retrofitted to be self-driving, people will demand that there be a way to override the self-driving mode and take over manual control.
    Not to steer this conversation (pun intended) to another place, but yeah, it's going to be VERY interesting

While I would love something like the Australian buyback to happen, I wouldn't for a second believe it's feasible, no. For the reasons stated yes, but also because of Gun Culture(tm.) The "cold, dead hands" thing is taken literally by a frightening number of people.

I just cannot, CANNOT, comprehend any of the arguments against reasonable gun control laws. Not a single fucking one is worth a shit. The list Robert Reich listed in that video--one HUNDRED percent reasonable. Will it get rid of all gun violence? Of course not, especially because of Gun Culture. But 33,000 goddamn lives a year--what if it saves 10,000 of them? How is that not worth the effort?

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    I think they should have two designations...."terrorism" and "organized terrorism"
    Domestic terrorism

Quote Originally Posted by Godson View Post
    Domestic terrorism
    I'm not a huge fan of that term....only because "Domestic Violence" is also used a lot and that refers to family issues specifically.

oh boy... And already some bullshit article is making the rounds on facebook from "naturalnews.com" written by some goof who also wrote that the government is putting estrogen in the water to make men more feminine... Full of a bunch of fucking nonsense conspiracy bullshit about how this is all fake because "old men can't shoot AR-15s" and "there's no muzzle flash" and "the guns would overheat" and "how can you carry a bunch of guns in bags" and holy fuck....

I am pleasantly surprised to see plenty of comments debunking the shit, though.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, that site's been garbage for years. I have a friend who, despite normally being smart, is seriously anti-GMO and regularly posts the most idiotic shit from there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_News

Administrator
    Lulz, someone on Twitter with the answer:

"If every black adult male in the U.S. bought & registered a semi-automatic rifle tomorrow, Congress would Pass gun control laws by Friday."