Page 57 of 125 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

Recently there was a re-release of the first game of the Mafia series from 2002 at Steam and GOG.

https://www.gog.com/game/mafia
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia

Nowadays I could play it without any problems on my laptop with a 2.5 Ghz i5 with an lousy internal Intel HD 4000.

The game has aged but it`s still good to awesome and worth to play.

And now there is a community mod that really ramps it up (outdated trailer from october 2016):

Now the cars are really detailed, the colors are more colorful and no longer washed out, the textures have been improved (although they are not HD), the draw distance is now like it should be and many more things have been improved.

Installation is easy, you just got to extract two two files into the root folder of the game if you got the Steam or GOG version and then you got to use the community mod installer and select the wished options.
    After that there is a readme that guides you for more infos about the right options in the setup.

I tried it on my HTPC (i5 2.4 Ghz, GTX 970, 12 GB Ram) and it was a blast!
    Need to try it out soon on my Gaming Rig in 32:9.

You will find the mod here:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/mafia-remastered

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Cool, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.
    Having completed route C/D (and now E) of the game and “completing” the story, I’m left kind of speechless. It’s a fucken roller coaster.

NieR: Automata. Beg, borrow, or steal a PS4 and make sure you play it. You’ll thank me later.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; January 12th, 2018 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    The locations are brilliant and the music is on point so far. Such an amazing soundtrack.
    Yep I've heard that the soundtrack sets a high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    One of the best parts of the game is the character and skill management. I’m no fan of allocating skills in a tree, it frankly bores me to death, but the way it’s done in this game is so amazing and clever. Everything in the pause menu is considered to be part of your character’s OS management system, right down to the brightness and audio settings. And skills come in the form of chips that you find or buy in shops, which you can plug in to the memory of your android protagonist. They come with a default setting, and every part of your gameplay experience is handled by these chips.

I like to play games without mini maps, so I removed that chip. Boom! No mini map. I also get distracted by the little numbers that pop up when you give or receive damage, so I removed that chip too. It gave me room to replace them with a chip that auto-heals with items if you get hurt. You can also find chips that make you run faster, or deal more damage, or receive less damage, or boost item drops and XP. There will probably be some crazy chips later on that feature ideas that I’ve never even considered. So, to that: massive thumbs-up.
    That also sounds interesting tho' as a gamer who typically dives into the Settings menu before playing games, this might frustrate me.

Here's a great review that I had come across that made me bring the topic up (minor spoilers within):

Watched 3:40 of that guy going down on the game.

I agree that publications are too strict on handing out 10/10 reviews.

I stopped at 3:40 because that's when he starts his review... and after seeing how great that game is, I want to play it without spoilers. Thanks for the tip guys!

Junior Potato
    Since yesterday I’ve been allowing myself to wallow in mild obsession with NieR and have been checking out Drakengard/NieR lore and backstory videos on YouTube. This led me to the script for the (wait for it) YoRHa stage play, which was written by Yoko Taro, creative director for these series.

The stage play is as full of gut wrenching plot twists as NieR: Automata is. It builds on the concept of an Android army that was initially represented by an all-female pop idol group from Japan called YoRHa, also the brainchild of Taro. The songs and the play are part of the Drakengard universe, but set 10,000 years in the future, and the game NieR: Automata is a sequel to the events in the play.

Don’t worry, you can play the game just fine without having to know anything about the stage play, or the old NieR game(s). In fact, part of the narrative is built around actually not being familiar with the world’s history, because you’re experiencing it anew from the protagonist’s point of view.

Also, Yoko Taro is a genius and a mad man.

And Novi, don’t be put off by the settings menu. It all forms part of the narrative and gameplay experience. All this becomes clear when you play it.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; January 12th, 2018 at 03:03 PM.

In the settings/OS menu, you can see your main CPU or power supply or something. The game will let you pull it out, but you'll immediately die, because that's how that would work.

Junior Potato
    I stumbled across this trailer for a new open world racing game based on the Dakar rally. Looks like pants.

I’m keeping an open mind for when we see actual gameplay footage.

Why? It looks fine to me.

The last Dakar game that I played was a while ago...

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    Why? It looks fine to me.
    Physics and animations for the vehicles look off, and the dramatic action + the dust storm at the end was a bit silly. Added to this, I looked up the developer and they’ve got no pedigree in making racing games.

Trailers are supposed to look better than the actual game, so either the game will be terrible, or it’s just a poorly made trailer, which is why I’m keeping an open mind.