Page 66 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

Arousal?

Junior Potato
    Oh it’s glorious.

I’m definitely aroused.

Administrator
    Got a chance to play a little of Nier this morning. Went around talking to folks in the Resistance camp and got my little sidequests. I went into the pause menu to save and it did that "drop to 2 FPS" thing again. Thankfully it's not that hard to navigate a menu with really slow controls, so I was able to save the game, then thought "well, what if I alt-tab out and then back in again." When I did it came back windowed and scaled something like 2x1. Resolution was at 4k but it was only really taking up the upper left quarter of the monitor and everything looked all goofed up. It was, however, running at full FPS again. So, I changed it to fullscreen again, which appeared to work fine, then took the resolution down to 2560x1440 and made it windowed again. So far, so good. It just seems to have some issue running fullscreen, and I've only had that issue after installing the fan patch.

More information is coming out about Sea of Thieves as it nears release (and the commentary about the game became that it was not that interesting or deep).

This video covers a number of things, including that there will be microtransactions, but they will not include lootboxes or gameplay affecting pieces.

If you'd like the same information with a different accent, in a different order, and with more detail and quotes, check this one out.

Get that weak shit off my track

Junior Potato
    V-Rally is making a return, thanks to Kylotonn Games and Big Ben Interactive - developer and publisher of the WRC games from the last few years.

It could be extremely mediocre. Here’s a trailer:

Junior Potato
    Sonic Mania is getting a physical release, in the form of Sonic Mania Plus, on all three platforms.

It is DEFINITELY worth buying if you haven't yet.

Junior Potato
    The first review I’ve seen of Sea Of Thieves is out and it’s… ok so far. Karak wasn’t blown away by it, but I’d mostly put that down to him being in the game so early that there weren’t that many players online to fill out the servers, coupled with a lack of meaningful play time.

Pre-release beta impressions have been very positive, putting it down to a game that is a blank canvas with a set of fairly simple rules, made through memorable experiences with other players (reminding me of those times in Halo multiplayer and doing crazy shit night after night) so I think if this review was put out a week later then it’s conclusion would be very different.

It’s a game that I really want to see do well for Rare and Microsoft. Hot damn the two of them need a strong title, to boost the Xbox and to return Rare to its former glory. While watching the video, I did start to wonder where the magic lies. Thieves is a game that could do so much with its setting but that hasn’t been captured… yet. Imagine Nintendo’s Wind Waker being transplanted over the top of this game: secrets everywhere, diversions to explore, multiplayer dungeons, new weapons and equipment upgrades. Some actual progression for each player, and most of all none of it requiring you to be online to do it, even if that enhances the moment-to-moment experience. That would be fantastic.

Comparing the online play to Halo multiplayer is incredibly generous, and odd, in my opinion.

Sea of Thieves is designed around you creating your stories with friends in a world with difficult but predictable ship control, and little depth in anything else. As you said, it needs more secrets that you can find organically. When you visit an island, you realize that the clues it gives you for finding a treasure are all preset (I've spotted paintings of items on walls or rocks that are obvious that they will be clues later), but the actual treasure isn't there into you buy the quest. Exploring freely will likely do you little to no good, so you'll just have to keep going back to a guild to generate things that weren't there when you were just at that spot a few minutes ago.

If you have friends that will get into this with you, or you just love the idea of the pirate life, then go for it, but I see no way that this will lead to the kind of experiences you have in Halo of action-packed evenings of missions, matches and playing with the physics. There just aren't enough tools to play with.

Yeah, it seems like a neat foundation. They need to keep building.