Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

I also was underwhelmed with Halo. Might just be PC snobbery, but I felt like I'd already played a ton of great FPSs, and this was a "great for a console" FPS.

Junior Potato
    Guys the franchise hit its stride big time in the Halo 2/3 era. It was like a rollercoaster with more loops added.

And the multiplayer did suck when everyone was playing try-hard style, but when it was muck around time (less killing and more “how far can we launch this Warthog with explosives?”) the game really came alive. I remember turning off the Xbox at 2am with sore laughing muscles on more than one occasion.

All this back in the era of Limp Bizkit, baggy jeans with wallet chains, and all captured beautifully in the moment by Red Vs. Blue. What a time to be alive. It’ll be impossible to capture that again.

I played the hell out of Halo 1 MP. Blood Gulch with Pistols was great fun. Converted to PC by Gearbox Software no less! For me it was the Lore and story. I played some of Halo 3 on Xbox 360 I think, maybe even some Halo 4 I think but memory is very vague. I certainly never played anything on XBone as I never had one.

Junior Potato
    Halo 4 was post-Bungie so is not true Halo in the eyes of PURISTS.

A surprisingly good one is ODST if you’ve never tried it. It’s Halo but different because you’re a regular grunt, and not an overpowered Spartan. I loved the hell out of it.

THE KING IN THE NORTH! TheBenior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I also was underwhelmed with Halo. Might just be PC snobbery, but I felt like I'd already played a ton of great FPSs, and this was a "great for a console" FPS.
    That's pretty much what I felt.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I loved the first two (and possibly the third) Halo games, but after that they seemed to become more like other shooter games and lost the 'magic', or the 'halo' feel that the first three games had. I can't say for definite as have only played bits of them, but i just lost interest after the third one, as ODST etc just seemed too much like other games.

Hard to describe the 'magic', but it's kinda like the first three being in a fantasy type land, and the rest being back to earth. Or the first three being made by Pixar and the latter ones by Christopher Nolan (aka dark and gloomy).

Junior Potato
    I bought Sekiro today. I’ve only played for an hour, but it already feels like it could be the best gaming decision I make this year.

The combat is accessible (ie you can get smashed a few times and not die instantly, and the controls are just slash or perfect block) and the penalty for getting beaten down isn’t too bad, but I’m only an hour in. It could get brutal at any moment.

You unlock the grappling hook pretty early, and it makes taversal and exploration very fluid. It’s great to cheese a few enemies or take unwilling foes by surprise for a delicious, visceral and bloody takedown. And it’s atmosphere is mega, just like Dark Souls but more open.

I’m going to play it tonight until I fall asleep.

ABC (think it's the most watched TV network in America) had Overwatch League on at 5pm on a Saturday.
    Was surprised it was on a prime network at a semi-prime viewing hour.