Page 83 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

Junior Potato
    Look up Dunkey’s Smash Bros. themed video on SC6

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    In games with heaps of different button combos (NBA, Wrestling, fighting etc) i just end up button mashing these days, and if that doesn't get my anywhere then the game gets uninstalled. Just seems like there are way too many button combos in some games, and my brain is getting too full as i get older, so it's harder to find space for things like that.

And Ace Combat sounds awesome, used to love them back in the day. And it's got my dream jet, the F15 Eagle, so yeah.

Administrator
    Throwback to when I was trying to play Steep. This is essentially my entire experience trying to play that game.

Junior Potato
    This makes me totally wish that I was into Resident Evil and could stomach horror in any of its forms.

Seriously, a full-on remake of a game from 1998 that’s good? I’d be so into that. I’m only just beginning to grasp the sheer joy of the experience of a labyrinthine puzzle box like the Raccoon City police station, thanks to my brief but harrowing time playing the RE7 demo and the recent coverage of the RE2 remake. But I just can’t do horror. I know that the hilarious thrills of jump scares can be entertaining but don’t give me the tension. Can’t do it.

Sorry RE2. I want to be in you but I can’t.

I'm the same way. I want it, but I can't. That game engineer is absolutely fantastic, too.

^ half the reason I really dislike modern horror movies, the cheap pop up scares when you least expect it.

Junior Potato
    I could weigh-in in agreement and say "Oh yeah they don't do horror like they used to" but I'd be talking out of my arse because I don't watch enough horror to authoritatively comment. I don't want the nightmares.

Although, I have heard lots of people say that horror used to be better in the old days.

But, that oft-repeated anecdote probably doesn't take into account the number of shitty horror films that came out in those undefined 'old days' versus the number of true classics, in comparison to the number of shitty horror films of more recent times versus the number of modern classics. I'll bet the ratio is pretty much bang-on over time.

If I was to give a truly authoritative opinion, I can throw up the comparison between old Spielberg Jurassic Park against the newer non-Spielberg Jurassic World.

Now, I know that the Jurassic films are absolutely not horror films, but there is an element of tension present in some of the scenes that display horror-esque moments, for instance the classic kitchen scene with the velociraptors in the very first Jurassic Park.

Late in that film's second act there's a scene [night, torrential rain, a jeep speeds along a muddy trail] where Dennis Nedry (expertly played by Neumann from Seinfeld) gets violently devoured by the goo-spitting dilophpsaurus in a sequence of events that just gets worse and worse for the character until it ends in his demise. It's fun and entertaining to watch the man become a very large meal for the reptilian hunter, yet the whole scene is a great display of "don't do that" and "it's right behind you!" moments for someone who is a total bad guy in the story. He slides the jeep off a muddy track and gets bogged, then has to leave the vehicle to investigate a solution, then has to unwind the car's winch, which doesn't reach the tree he needs to use to pull his car out. The whole time you're shown hints of something creeping around in the forest, until the jump scare happens. It's expertly placed and not a single inch of film is wasted in it's build-up.

It's pure Spielberg talent, at a time when he was at the height of his powers.

Compare and contrast that to the opening scene of the latest film, Lost Kingdom [night, torrential rain, a helicopter flies over an angry sea]. In it, a team of recovery techs are tasked with inserting a small sub into a walled off area of ocean on the coast of Isla Nublar to recover a dinosaur specimen from the sea floor. You have one man in the sub, two (or was it three?) in the helicopter, and one on the ground controlling the massive door that's keeping the giant prehistoric whatever it is from escaping into the wild. Again, it's a short, escalating sequence of errors that lead to the untimely deaths of some of the crew. The man controlling the door is alone but something bad happens and he becomes solely focused on his job, oblivious to the T-Rex that appears from out of nowhere. It approaches him slowly at first while the heli crew try and get his attention. Soon the T-Rex is stomping over the area while the man runs to the helicopter which drops a rope ladder. The T-rex bites at the bottom of the ladder while the man scrambles upward, threatening to pull the helicopter to the ground, while the pilot yells at his crew to cut it free. Just at that moment, the T-rex loses its grip on the ladder and the crew is safe... that is until the giant whatever it is leaps out of the water and consumes the man in one massive bite. As the helicopter flies away the camera pans down revealing that the giant ocean door has not been closed.

It's a great scene, have no doubt about that. I thought it was beautiful. However, it's completely shat on from a great height by the Nedry-Jeep-dilophosaurus scene from back in 1993. Plus, it's the only scene of it's type in the whole film, while the rest of it is just actiony white-noise for two hours. Whereas the original Jurassic Park was littered with many great sequences that either followed through with someone getting eaten, or subversed that and ended up with some other entertaining result.

At least the new one sees the return of Ian "Why won't anyone listen to me?" Malcolm.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Yeah i used to play Resident Evil, Silent Hill etcc back in the day, but these days with an older heart i just can't seem to play them anymore. Like in Outlast, which was free on PS Plus years back, i barely lasted five mins, cos i kept hiding in a locker, and if i did venture out i sprinted back there if i heard the slightest noise.

Is wimp.

The two Halo Wars games are free to play this week-end.

I reminded myself that I'm not really into real-time strategy games.