Page 40 of 126 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

For mobile:

I played the heck out of Trials Frontier for the last year. Then, the progression got too slow and the ads became too intrusive for me lately. I literally got an ad on top of an ad yesterday. DELETED. It was kind of painful though, as I liked the game and put a lot of time into it.

Right now the only game I have on my phone is I Love Hue. It is relaxing.

I also played Egg, Inc. quite a bit, then it became tedious. It is fun for a while.

I played a bridge building game for a short time that I enjoyed. Alas, it soon became niegh-impossible.
    Last edited by Cam; July 22nd, 2017 at 11:42 AM.

Junior Potato
    Phone games are mostly shit.

That said, try these:

Gunman Taco Truck
    Framed
    Pokemon GO
    Super Mario Run
    Device 6 (very recommended)
    Broken Age
    Geometry Wars 3
    World of Goo

Also Sega is continuing to release free games from their back catalogue, if you can stand playing old Genesis and Master System games with touch controls.

Junior Potato
    I'll add to that list:

Shadowmatic
    The Trail

The latter is by Peter Molyneuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwww, of Fable fame.

Tried the new Doom demo, since it was free for all the weekend on Steam.
    It was quite fun, usual Doom story about UAC fucking up on Mars and demons been freed (I don't think it is a spoiler anymore after all these years and Doom games).
    Linear solid story, simple to start, although the submenu is a bit convoluted.
    OTOH action is fine, 3D engine is stellar as usual per ID fare, with solidity, a very materic and consistent feel, decent lightining, weapons are easy to use and the mechanic of adding mods to them pretty basic and simple to catch.
    Miles far from the clunkiness of Metro 2033 or Bioshock Infinite... but also a lot of time has been passing since those games were out (although I'm sure I'd be positively surprised in the same way even with the older Doom or Quake 4... ID just knows how to offer a fluid and solid gaming experience - aside from Rage LOL).
    Too bad it was just the two starting chapters. Single player only, no interest in multiplayer.

Well, back to Fallout NV that feels worse than Fallout 3 in many ways... lacklustre probably is the most apt word to describe it.
    Last edited by Blerpa; July 23rd, 2017 at 06:24 AM.

For phone games, I liked Marvel Puzzle Quest, Fallout Shelter, and Tap Titans 2 for a while. Currently, I'm playing Idle Heroes and Legendary. Hearthstone was fun, but took up too much room on my phone.
    Brave Frontier and Puzzles & Dragons were good too.

The only phone game I have is Motorsports Manager, and since I never played the PC version of it the game is good enough for me. Not great, but on the occasions I do bother to play it the game sucks me in for about two hours.

Junior Potato
    I'm spoiled with portable gaming because I belong to the #switchmasterrace, but if I had an Android phone I'd be rocking emulators with a Bluetooth or USB game pad for daaaaaayyyyyyzzzzz.

k.

Administrator
    I have not had a lot of luck getting gamepads to play nice with my phone, but now I have a new phone, so maybe it's time to try again.

Junior Potato
    I really really want to play Hellblade.

Like, a real lot.

It came out yesterday on PC and PS4 - one of those good fly-under-the-radar titles that you'll miss unless someone explicitly points it out to you. Luckily I'm here to do just that.

It's developed by UK outfit Ninja Theory, of Devil May Cry and Disney Infinity fame. They've had a rough past in the AAA space, so now they've done an indie game with an indie budget, but have tried to make it to AAA production values. As a result the game tells a unique story with the care and attention that a AAA developer often can't put into it.

And the girl who plays the lead is as cute as a pile of kittens on a Sunday morning. But that totally hasn't swayed my opinion on this game... at all...

Melina Juergens is not even an actress, but a videographer who works for the developer and makes all of their game trailers and behind the scenes videos. She ended up being roped into the complex role Senua in the game just by being the stand-in during production, until eventually her employer offered her the part. This is that story:

And here's a review. I have to say that I'm so impressed with the animations of the main character. The way she moves is so fluid and natural looking, especially during transitions between animations while manoeuvring around the environment. I'd even put them above Horizon Zero Dawn at times. Then there's layers of great combat and story and atmosphere (so much atmosphere) on top of that.