Page 42 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

Junior Potato
    I bought Sonic Mania and it is a legit good time. Cheap too! Only twenty-six point nine five schmackos on the AU Switch eShop, which equals less than $20 on the US eShop. That's cheaper than what is costs on the PlayStation Store, funnily enough. BUY IT!

Junior Potato
    And on the topic of other games I bought this week, I did end up getting Hellblade. Now that is a title. I've only put two hours into it so far but oh my god it is good. The combat is so tight and visceral and satisfying. BUY IT TOO!

You live in Australia, and all you do is work and play videogames?

Junior Potato
    It's better than never having time for videogames

What else are you supposed to do when everything there is designed to kill you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    What else are you supposed to do when everything there is designed to kill you?
    Jack it to some hot Sheilas?

EA is taking a risk with Madden this year. So many sports games are introducing story-driven career modes where you are an up and coming star who, gaming skill willing, will dominate the league in no short order.

Madden's first story-driven mode is a movie you get to play, but there are many forced, scripted failures/choices. You don't get to be the young star that everyone loves, you don't get to control him out of every mistake and into a perfect player.

There are spoilers for the story in this article, but it gives a good description of how and why this is so different from all of the normal story-modes in sports games.

http://compete.kotaku.com/madden-18s...ing-1797939837

When the narrative needs Devin to win, he’ll win. Devin’s flashbacks to his star moments in high school football feel easy and effortless. For these sections, you get as many tries as you need to ensure you nail every pass and interception. The scaling difficulty of the gameplay accurately reflects the emotional beats of the narrative and Devin’s nostalgia for his past, but it suffers from the same problem as the game’s unbeatable sections. Longshot changes the rules to create whatever outcome makes the most sense for its story.

Once I’d played through the game twice, I came to appreciate this decision. On my first playthrough, I felt just as discouraged as Devin about the state of my football career. Failure made Devin lash out at his best friend, fall to his knees in solitary frustration, and even get to the point of tears. In my first playthrough I blamed myself, but once familiarity helped me look through the smoke and mirrors, I could see that failure was built into the story Longshot is telling. It’s not like the rest of Madden, which lets you design the best possible team in a surreal vacuum. Longshot is about Devin becoming the best quarterback he can be, in spite of significant personal setbacks.
    Obviously this is all optional, you can just go through and play normally without any story anything in all of the other modes, but the story modes in sports games have seemingly been very popular, so taking it down such a different path from the wish-fulfillment journeys of the other ones seems risky to me. Hopefully it will pay off and we'll get more inventive things like this in the future.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Wake me when they get to the part where he beats his wife and the league looks the other way.

If it's in the game, it's in the game.

Junior Potato
    ^

Character stories in sports games can get bent. I had to sit through a half an hour of it in the F1 2016 demo when all I wanted to do was race. It's a sports game for Christ's sake, not a soap opera.

Yeah... I was really turned off by NBA2k16's story mode: by Spike Lee!

Even though you could design your own character, the story was only supposed to be played as someone with darker skin.

Which would have been fine had I known. I would have designed my character accordingly. But, they start you off designing your character any way you want. So, I made him look like me, with light skin. Then after a few games you meet your mom... Okay maybe I can pretend I had a different dad? Nope. Met my dad a few games later. Maybe I can pretend I was adopted? Nope. A few games after that I met my twin sister.
    There's no way my character should exist as I designed him. But, now I'm like 15 games into the 1st season. No way I'm starting over now.