Page 56 of 126 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Video Games/News Thread

Administrator
    Nevermind, I see you bumped it. Thanks!

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Mick, have you played NieR: Automata? It's supposed to be THE pinnacle of gaming yet produced.
    I’ve only tried the demo unfortunately. I’m aware of how well loved the game is, but the demo did not do it any justice.

Bugbear Entertainment did the first three titles of the Flatout series but the name wasn`t their IP.
    So they started their own demolition racer and just named it Next Car Game and finally named it Wreckfest.

In January Wreckfest is now in Early Access for four years and it was always solid and had good performance, but it always lacked something like a career:
    With the last update they added a career preview and even eight new cars.

So maybe we get a final release before 2020?

Administrator
    Got a nice set of headphones for Christmas. Hellblade is amazing.

Junior Potato
    Don’t forget that LA Noire is in VR on PC.

Administrator
    I've heard it doesn't work so hot on the Rift, so I haven't bothered with it yet.

Junior Potato
    Mick, have you played NieR: Automata? It's supposed to be THE pinnacle of gaming yet produced.
    Following on from this (man this thread has slowed down this month!), I have bought a copy of NieR Automata and will be able to pick it up when the shops open again on the 2nd

Cool, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.

Junior Potato
    Cool, looking forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.
    Welp, it turns out the shop I bought it from is open today, so I popped by to pick it up!

When I got home I put the disc in and it took 20 seconds to copy some data to the hard drive on my PS4, then I could play it straight away.

After 30 minutes play time (and a cool opening battle) all I have is this lousy trophy:

Further upskirts, umm, I mean, thoughts to follow.

Junior Potato
    I’ve put about 15-20 hours into Nier: Automata now and completed the A storyline. So far I find that it feels like a very heady mixture of Twilight Princess and Metal Gear Solid 2, with a dash of Evangelion thrown in, and baked at a comfortable temperature.

Don’t take it as me thinking it’s bad - I’m aware that the first play through is fairly flat and the game becomes a true classic once you complete the next four elements to the story. It’s still an incredibly interesting game and has so far been way better than other games I’ve played in the last 12 months, so I’m lookong forward to finding out what’s coming next.

I’ve thankfully managed to remain spoiler-free on the game this year, but I do know that the first part of the game is just setting things up for some great story and genre-bashing gameplay that subverts expectations. Up until ending A it’s just a bunch of very vanilla fetch-questing and waypoint following in an open world-ish environment. The locations are brilliant and the music is on point so far. Such an amazing soundtrack. Story missions are fun and varied but the side quests get on the nose pretty quickly.

One of the best parts of the game is the character and skill management. I’m no fan of allocating skills in a tree, it frankly bores me to death, but the way it’s done in this game is so amazing and clever. Everything in the pause menu is considered to be part of your character’s OS management system, right down to the brightness and audio settings. And skills come in the form of chips that you find or buy in shops, which you can plug in to the memory of your android protagonist. They come with a default setting, and every part of your gameplay experience is handled by these chips.

I like to play games without mini maps, so I removed that chip. Boom! No mini map. I also get distracted by the little numbers that pop up when you give or receive damage, so I removed that chip too. It gave me room to replace them with a chip that auto-heals with items if you get hurt. You can also find chips that make you run faster, or deal more damage, or receive less damage, or boost item drops and XP. There will probably be some crazy chips later on that feature ideas that I’ve never even considered. So, to that: massive thumbs-up.

I’ll be getting stuck in to storyline #2 today. Can’t wait!