Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super License Events

Super License Events

Is it just me or does the difficulty seriously ramp up the moment you start these?

Thus far in GT6 I've been mostly successful using cars that were somewhat below the allowed PP for any given event. In a few cases I tune the car up closer to the limit to win, but still was able to run the races and get 1st.

Two night ago I started the S level races and as yet haven't been able to win one. I'm working on the 650PP Street Cars and Big Willow, but with no luck so far. I started with a mildly tuned GT-R and have been adding bits and pieces after every attempt. Last night I maxed it out to 652PP, added a few kilos of ballast and still didn't manage to win.

"And the tires?"

I appreciate that they wanted to add the element of fuel consumption and tire degradation at this point... but really? Almost an entire tank of gas and a set of tires (just the front left in this particular case) in 4, max 5 on Hards, laps? The tires wear so quickly that you can literally go from setting a fastest lap to being unable to drive the last few corners of the subsequent lap. (Qualifying rubber?) Below "3" the tires become almost useless. You have to back off big time to avoid slipping off the track.

I'm loving the challenge, don't get me wrong... but it's the inconsistencies that get irritating.

Co-incidentally, last night I started on the Super class events. I hopped in my brand new FT-1, bolted on Sports Soft tyres, and went to the first Big Willow event. I took a single pit stop at the end of lap 4 of 8, and won by about 5 seconds.

To be fair, I did back off the last few percent to try and preserve the tyres, being just below the point of tyre squeal rather than just on it.

The other point to make, as in many GT6 races, is that you can be a long way behind until near the end, but it's important to keep driving and not give up and restart - in my case I think the lead car pitted on lap 7, which sent me from ~30s behind to ~5s ahead.

Skid Recovery On or Off?

So far I'm managed a best of 2nd, about 5s behind the leader. The best lap time I can get is in the 1:18 range, and that's a lap that's absolutely cooking the tires. One like that and I can barely finish the 4th lap on the tires. (Maybe I've just got some shit set-up happening... I dunno'.)

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I haven't had much problem with S class events just yet, have won the ones i've done due to careful pit strategy (in the Apricot Hill one i got into first place for the first time in the race in the second or third last lap) and sometimes a bit of luck (last lap of the Willow Springs one the tyres were shot, and the last long sweeper i was pretty much involuntarily sideways around the whole thing, won by a few car lengths?).

Think the Brands Hatch one wasn't too hard either. Can't remember.
    Last edited by SkylineObsession; January 16th, 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Skid recovery off - the only aid I use with road cars is ABS 1.

I just ran it again in my GT-R Black Edition '12, and won by over half a minute.

Car is fully stripped out for 1386kgs, with a couple of power mods. 619hp, 611PP. Running Sports Soft tyres with a single pit stop after 4 laps for a fresh set, plus the recommended ~25 litres of fuel. Front tyres were on 6/10 life left at the end of each stint, so still fairly grippy.

Suspension and gearbox are stock, so there isn't any setup to worry about.

Most of my laps were 1'21s. Obviously apart from lap 1, an in-lap of 1'30 and an out-lap of 1'39. I did one hot lap of 1'19. 11'35 total race time.

That's basically how I was running to start... could never even come close to the Huayayuarraa!

Just checked, and my GT-R win today was against a field that did NOT include the Huayura. So it may be simply the luck of the draw - post your total race time when you came 2nd, and that will show us.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    When i did the Willow Springs race there were two (?) Haurayjaoouidfhjoafid's and a McLaren F1 (front of the pack) and Veyron (which started in first and ended in 13th or lower). The Pagani/'s seemed to pit early, so thats how i passed them.

Just did the 20 minutes of Apricot Hill in a fully tuned FD, 612pp I think, racing soft tyres. Two pitstops and I ended up with my left rear tyre down to 3, but still seemed to corner ok ;-)

Logged in for a quick spin before supper and entered the event. No Hyuaraya in sight. Killed the rest of the field. Led by the end of lap 3, pitted at the end of f lap 4, regained the lead on lap 6, barrel-rolled (note: do not ditch-hook the final turn at Willow Springs), and still won.