Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Clancy's The Division

Unless one faction is the one that released the diease any kind of pvp seems counter productive to the story line.

Is there any official information on different factions?

Storyline? It's an MMO with third person shooter gameplay instead of turn-based combat. The story comes third or fourth in importance at the most.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Bullet sponge enemies, and accidental fire leads to unintended PvP. I'm leaning away from Division and towards Wildlands.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/23/882...ne-ps4-preview

And PvP takes place in sectioned off PvE environments called Dark Zones (where you can get better, but contaminated, loot). The E is AI characters akin to bosses protecting the loot, but you may run into another group of players while you're in there and it's up to you to avoid, help, or attack them. If you accidentally shoot one of them, you're immediately considered "rogue" and can be attacked/killed with no repercussions.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; June 23rd, 2015 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    I'm leaning away from Division and towards Wildlands.
    GR:Wildlands seems more GTA-like while The Division is looking more and more like a remapped/retextured version of Destiny.

Gaming journalists were allowed to play recently and embargoes have been lifted. Biggest takeaway: it is highly numbers based. It is more RPG than shooter.

I really like the idea of building up your base by rescuing people (doctors, former cops and engineers are the examples they give) and getting supplies. But enemies are very bullet-spongy, headshots aren't one-shot kills even though no one seems to be wearing helmets, etc. It's a realistic setting but with typical fantasy weapons damage.

That being said, some of its other elements do sound very cool. I'm not a big fan of bullet sponge enemies, especially when they just look like a guy in a hoodie and t-shirt, but they have some good gameplay ideas.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ision-preview/
    Instead, I found myself pouring clip after clip of ammunition into enemies that are not so much bullet sponges as humanoid tardigrades, capable of surviving even the blast and flame resulting from a direct hit with an incendiary grenade. The Division, y’see, has more in common with Bungie’s Destiny than it does with Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six or anything else in the big, wide Clancyverse.
    -----------
    A couple of clips were enough to take down a regular grunt and bosses required the concentrated attention of our three-person squad. The world doesn’t level to match your agents but different areas of the city are clearly marked as being suitable for players within a certain experience range. You’re more than welcome to wander into high-level zones right from the start but doing so is likely to end in death and disappointment. At level 5, one encounter with a level 18 enemy taught me that one shot can kill, if the circumstances are right. He dropped me with a single shotgun blast.
    -----------
    In particular, the abililty to switch between roles without tying yourself to a class is fantastic – I was a machinegunning heavy with area effect healing effects that I could dump into the field. There’s a great deal of customisation to discover and a high degree of flexibillity in playstyles thanks to the variety of skills, equipment, buffs and grenades.

It’s the ARPG loop of exploring and collecting that’ll provide the lasting appeal, but it’s bolstered by the combat itself, which is about positioning as well as DPS. Having the right numbers in your inventory is all well and good, but being able to coordinate with team-mates so that enemies are suppressed, pinned down, flanked or scattered by grenades is vital. I remember when Clancy games, and Rainbw Six in particular, were the thinking person’s shooter. The Division is at least attempting to be a thinking person’s ARPG.
    -----------
    But there is a clash between the costume and the body underneath. I’d love to play a Ghost Recon game set in this world, or a Rainbow Six. I’d like to play more of The Division as well but I’m not entirely sure it needs such a beautiful city in which to rattle off its stat-heavy combat.

This Playboy.com YouTube vid has their actual live commentary while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    GR:Wildlands seems more GTA-like while The Division is looking more and more like a remapped/retextured version of Destiny.
    I'm still vaguely interested...

I would really like a bit less clutter on the screen and some adjustable difficulty. Perhaps a 'Hardcore' mode with more realistic damage. Perhaps it is an option.

Also hope they support 21:9 monitors well and don't do as some games have and have the UI all in positions suitable for 16:9 which puts them in the middle 3/4 of the screen.

I'm confirmed in the beta for PC at the end of the month so will play prior to ordering.

That playboy dude was annoying. "I'm gonna shoot you, hurr hurr"

Here's another vid

Junior Potato
    Here's a good and really succinct video that explains all you need to know without the annoying chit-chat:

My thoughts based on these videos?

Well I'll preface this by saying that I like my shooters more straightforward than this. I can just barely handle all the RPG stats in Fallout 4 and Destiny before I get too bloody overwhelmed by... everything (I've played Fallout 4 for two hours and almost rage-quit when I encountered the first crafting tables). I just want to shoot stuff, I don't mind if it's technical or tactical, but you can leave the stats and leveling and crafting behind, thanks.

To me the game looks like floating icon hell. Too much information with not enough explanation is really annoying for the first few hours while you're learning about it. Although those icons do look pretty. It's a very slick, futuristic looking game. And really, what's with emptying clip after clip into a group of baddies only for them to stay standing?

However I do love the idea of the dark zone. Hopefully its a large part of the game. And I love the AP turrets you can throw down, especially the flame thrower, that looks brutal. And apparently there's a reward for closing all of the vehicle doors in the city, which is an interesting GTA-style collect-em-all side mission.

So aside from my aversion to RPG elements in what should be a pure, visceral genre such as FPSs, I'm looking forward to trying the beta. Hopefully it's another good RPG-FPS to add to the collections of those weirdos who like such games. The only truly bad thing I can see with this game, as I said on Facebook yesterday, is Ubisoft itself. Colour me slightly interested.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; January 17th, 2016 at 03:09 AM.