Page 71 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Just curious... Why do you care so much about how much $ they rake in at the box office?

I enjoy roughly tracking box office dollars Kid, that's all.

It's not the first movie I've done this for and it won't be the last. #shrug

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    No YW, the point of USS Callister is a story set up against a single character type -- "Captain Kirk" is celebrated in the same way as "James Bond": take charge, kick-ass misogynists.

Whereas the diverse cast of The Force Awakens powered the movie to be the #3 flick of all time. This article is trying to frame TLJ disappointment as being soley a factor of the Alt Right which is inaccurate. #HTH
    I agree with you in that Kirk can be seen as a toxic character type. A bit like the #notmyluke #lukefailure charactertype?

But there is more than one way of looking at the episode. It is also about seeking "ownership" of characters and a Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I enjoy roughly tracking box office dollars Kid, that's all.

It's not the first movie I've done this for and it won't be the last. #shrug
    I know. That's why I was asking. As there have been lots of box office bombs that were really good movies.

Box office $$$ never meant squat to me, that's why I was wondering. Do you use it to see if there will likely be a sequel, if other people like it, if it will get nominations, or just out of your own amusement. (Some of the things I was wondering) Thanks for answering.

Eh kinda, just always interested me to read about how the studio heads receive their products I guess. A way to see if they like what they've paid for, in a sense.

I've pretty much always enjoyed reading about how well or poor movies do my whole life. You'd get tidbits of news through magazines like Starlog back in the day. I remember wondering why Disney's The Black Hole never received a sequel in the midst of the Star Wars hoopla at the time, for example. Poor returns, that's why. #shrug

Tho' I will say the earliest movie I can really remember tracking numbers for is Terminator 2 in '91.

So you have a box office success algorithm in your brain and you only watch movies to fine tune the parameters?

LoL yeah and I have a whole shelf full of one-off flicks that I love that weren't deemed worthy of a sequel. #badtaste

Junior Potato
    Why I’m getting from it is that TLJ will be seen as a failure if it only just falls shy of a billion dollars in cinemas.

True first-world problem.

Dude, it's a massive success -- $1.3B from the box office is still Top 10 All-Time.

9-figure production budget, 9-figure marketing budget, part of a 10-figure IP acquisition cost, 50-75% theatre and distributors' cuts ...
    One billion dollars could have been considered a failure.
    There's also shady Hollywood accounting