Page 58 of 153 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Krunch, the Rian Johnson spoilers above certainly make him come across as a huge douchebag, or that there really was nearly zero effective communication between him and JJ Lostboy.

Yeah Episode IX is gonna be a shitshow. .

Very much looking forward to Rey being Shmi Skywalker's great grand-daughter.

I mean it's J.J. Abrams: people thought that TFA was simply a remake of ANH -- don't you think there's probably good odds he remakes RotJ/RotS?

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    There's a great article at verge.

Spoiler:
    https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/1...s-rian-johnson

"More than anything, mourning over Ackbar’s death in the The Last Jedi feels like mourning over fan-made canon. It’s mourning over hypotheticals and a childhood nostalgia that remembers Ackbar as something bigger and better developed than he was. And that’s fine! Nostalgia, memories, and in-jokes are a big part of a fandom. But there’s a weird dichotomy where those stories and meanings start to take precedence in people’s minds over the actual canon. For better or for worse (probably for the better), Star Wars isn’t a democracy — we don’t ask for a show of hands to plot the movies, we put our trust in the creators who make more of the thing we love. And yes, sometimes that means the particular character or plot point we love doesn’t make the cut. But personally, I’d rather have new and controversial choices that advance what the series can be, instead of an endless loop of safer, fan-pleasing decisions that tirelessly recycle the same handful of characters."
    Too true. Suck it down, loser star wars fan boys.

Also remember that lots of the rant videos are at least partly clickbait. Whatever the case, I find this outcome great."
    I look forward to J.J. destroying this POV -- and to YW's inevitable claims of "WHATEVS I DONT CARE STER WERS SUCKS IM OUT OF HERE!!" followed by him posting this opinion over and over and over again in this thread. #salute
    Last edited by novicius; December 20th, 2017 at 02:26 PM.

More goodness.

Suck it down, Star Wars obsessed "you ruined my childhood" fanboys. Life's not fair and that's what you get for projecting all your hopes and dreams into an overrated opera featuring space wizards.

Spoiler:
    I don't understand why everyone needs Rey to be related to the Skywalkers. We still have a Skywalker in this story in Kylo... Rey is just a powerful example that there are still 'light side' force users that aren't related to the 'royal family', so to speak.

Regarding my feelings on other stuff:

- Snoke was under developed. He didn't need to be related to anything in previous movies, but he did need to be developed a bit more for us to be shocked, and/or care during the 'twist' at the end. The way he was handled in the two new movies, I was wholly unsurprised when he got chopped in half.

- I liked Luke's characterization in the movie. He's always been conflicted and whiny, so why wouldn't he still be after a huge fucking tragedy (which he may be responsible for). My only beef with the way he was presented was the fucking creepy, gross milk scene.

- I see bitching about Rey being too powerful, too quickly. Or too capable, or whatever. By the time we see her first in TFA, she's been fending for herself for years. You have to be pretty capable to get to that point. How many complained that baby Anakin won a pod race that no human could win, or Luke was suddenly an X-Wing ace within their first movies? The sexism of the nerds is strong.

- Admiral Akbar is overrated. Objectively it makes sense to not give him too much play in his death. But nostalgia wanted it to be him performing the kamikaze. Which, speaking of, was an amazing and beautifully done scene.

- I understood what they were trying to do with the slow space chase, but for whatever reason it fell flat for me. It didn't really feel like it built tension very well, and I grew bored of it pretty quickly. I wonder if incorporating some dog fights during the war of attrition would have sold it better. Related, as it was presented, keeping the plan secret from Poe felt off, like they had a main plot and a side plot they wanted to do, and couldn't quite figure out how to make it work.

- On the side plot, I liked that we got to see some commentary on classes, war profits, animal cruelty, etc. BUT, their mission also seemed kinda pointless in the end, like it was specifically only there to make said commentary and to find an excuse to have Finn and Phasma square off (another underdeveloped villain).

- I have no problems with the Force being expanded on, it's been expanded on over the years in all sorts of media. It started as basically moving things, and using a laser sword. Then we got sparkle hands, super flips and jumps, references to prolonging life or bringing people back from the dead, etc. It's clear that there is much that can be done with the Force, and I'm glad it's not just mild telepathy and telekinesis.

Overall I'm very mixed on the movie. I liked the message and story they were intending to go for, but execution fell short in many ways for me. It's not my favorite Star Wars movie, and it's not my least favorite. I am excited to see JJ Abrams back for Episode 9, and I think Rian Johnson could do some really fun things when he's not beholden to existing characters.

I'd really like to see a big movie trilogy that had nothing to do with the Skywalkers, but gave us expanded lore on the Force, Jedis and the Dark Side. That'd likely need to be well in the past or well into the future of the current movies, but so be it.

In other news, TLJ received a 58% drop in business on Monday as opposed to TFA's 33%.

The drops are the countdown ticks of doom to the quiet non-announcement that Disney is not moving forward on Rian Johnson's trilogy. Better keep buying those tickets if you want to see that, nuWars fanboys!

EDIT: Rotten Tomatoes Confirms Its 55% 'Last Jedi' Audience Score Is 100% Authentic

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes.com
    On Tuesday I spoke at length with Rotten Tomatoes spokesperson Dana Benson regarding the movie ratings site's Audience Score of 55% for Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

I was curious to know whether there was any merit to conspiracy theories that have circulated in recent days alleging organized vote campaigns to drive down the film’s scores from their “proper” levels, and why there is such a big disparity between the mediocre Rotten Tomatoes audience ratings and other, higher critics' and viewers' responses, such as the “A” rating from Cinemascore.

Ms. Benson, who is the Vice President of Communications at Fandango, the parent company of Rotten Tomatoes, told me that Fandango and Rotten Tomatoes are fully confident in the ratings and scores for the Star Wars picture. She assured me that Rotten Tomatoes has gone to great lengths to verify their ratings' accuracy and authenticity.

“We have several teams of security, network, and social database experts who constantly monitor reviews and ratings to ensure that they are genuine,” she told me.

They haven’t seen anything unusual with The Last Jedi, except that there has been an uptick in the number of written user reviews submitted. Aside from that, everything is normal and we don’t see any unusual activity."

"We looked at The Last Jedi compared to other blockbusters and it has been consistent with those past films.”
    Last edited by novicius; December 20th, 2017 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Spoiler:
    I don't understand why everyone needs Rey to be related to the Skywalkers. We still have a Skywalker in this story in Kylo... Rey is just a powerful example that there are still 'light side' force users that aren't related to the 'royal family', so to speak.
    Ultimately I'm fine with Rey's "She's-A-Nobody" background.

Regarding my feelings on other stuff:

- Snoke was under developed. He didn't need to be related to anything in previous movies, but he did need to be developed a bit more for us to be shocked, and/or care during the 'twist' at the end. The way he was handled in the two new movies, I was wholly unsurprised when he got chopped in half.
    Agree.

- I liked Luke's characterization in the movie. He's always been conflicted and whiny, so why wouldn't he still be after a huge fucking tragedy (which he may be responsible for). My only beef with the way he was presented was the fucking creepy, gross milk scene.
    Disagree. Luke is the hopeful one, he never gave up on Vader, there is NO WAY he'd draw down on a sleeping Ben Skywalker. He would sooner eat that blade himself vs harm Leia's child. As well as rejecting the Jedi Order? I don't agree and I don't want to pay to see that story over and over, easy.

- I see bitching about Rey being too powerful, too quickly. Or too capable, or whatever. By the time we see her first in TFA, she's been fending for herself for years. You have to be pretty capable to get to that point. How many complained that baby Anakin won a pod race that no human could win, or Luke was suddenly an X-Wing ace within their first movies? The sexism of the nerds is strong.
    Agree.

- Admiral Akbar is overrated. Objectively it makes sense to not give him too much play in his death. But nostalgia wanted it to be him performing the kamikaze. Which, speaking of, was an amazing and beautifully done scene.
    Disagree. If you're gonna go through the effort of bringing a much-loved meme'd character back, spacing him without any recognition isn't really winning hearts & minds of the fans.

- I understood what they were trying to do with the slow space chase, but for whatever reason it fell flat for me. It didn't really feel like it built tension very well, and I grew bored of it pretty quickly. I wonder if incorporating some dog fights during the war of attrition would have sold it better. Related, as it was presented, keeping the plan secret from Poe felt off, like they had a main plot and a side plot they wanted to do, and couldn't quite figure out how to make it work.
    Agree.

- On the side plot, I liked that we got to see some commentary on classes, war profits, animal cruelty, etc. BUT, their mission also seemed kinda pointless in the end, like it was specifically only there to make said commentary and to find an excuse to have Finn and Phasma square off (another underdeveloped villain).
    Agree.

- I have no problems with the Force being expanded on, it's been expanded on over the years in all sorts of media. It started as basically moving things, and using a laser sword. Then we got sparkle hands, super flips and jumps, references to prolonging life or bringing people back from the dead, etc. It's clear that there is much that can be done with the Force, and I'm glad it's not just mild telepathy and telekinesis.
    Agree.

Overall I'm very mixed on the movie. I liked the message and story they were intending to go for, but execution fell short in many ways for me. It's not my favorite Star Wars movie, and it's not my least favorite. I am excited to see JJ Abrams back for Episode 9, and I think Rian Johnson could do some really fun things when he's not beholden to existing characters.
    Disagree. This trilogy is a mess at best. J.J. is not the guy to run any franchise with lore, obviously. Rian Johnson is equally garbage with lore. Stick to one-shot indie films, kid.

I'd really like to see a big movie trilogy that had nothing to do with the Skywalkers, but gave us expanded lore on the Force, Jedis and the Dark Side. That'd likely need to be well in the past or well into the future of the current movies, but so be it.
    Agree.
    My simplified/abbreviated responses to Jason.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I want to go watch it again as I'm so internally conflicted but maybe that's the whole point of the movie

Carlo, are you just bored, or are you really this passionate about disliking this movie/Rian Johnson? It seems like an abnormal amount of trolling/hate for someone who is your age

Junior Potato
    He thinks this movie is a Trumpian load of liquid shit, yet he loves Destiny 2.

I sense much conflict in him.