Page 72 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Dude, it's a massive success -- $1.3B from the box office is still Top 10 All-Time.
    Yeah that much isn't hard to understand, but the language used in a lot of the discussion I've seen paints it as huge failure and loss for Disney, linking it to the unpopular storyline and the white (male) powahh controversy and how Solo is going to bomb.

Meanwhile I'm still scratching my head, like I was in the first week, as to why the film ackchyually objectively sucked.

I just think terms like "flop" or "failure" are too harsh, that's all.

"Disappointing" and maybe even "slightly disappointing" seems more accurate. But there's currently three more SW movies in the pipe: Solo, Ep 9 & the recently greenlit Obi-Wan movie.

Plus Rian Johnson's trilogy after that is still a go, as far as we know. #shrug

I think the terms that will be used are versions of "underperform".
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yep, that's more accurate.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I like "hubris" and "prior overexpectations"

Week #4, TLJ falls first to third Domestic.

Rogue One also only did three weeks @ #1.

EDIT: The rout is on in China.

Quote Originally Posted by China Box Office Tweet
    THE LAST JEDI earned est. ¥14.5M ($2.2M) on Monday, a 69% drop from Sunday compared to 60% for Rogue One. China’s 4-day total is now ¥190M ($29.3M). All signs pointing to an epic 90%-95% drop this weekend...
    Last edited by novicius; January 8th, 2018 at 06:49 AM.

Well following TLJ's box office has become pretty boring -- it's fallen behind Rogue One's dailies for good at the same point in time. So much for that.

Even tho' TLJ posted the 4th best Opening Weekend Worldwide of all time, it's going to end up 9th best Worldwide Grosses, beating out Beauty and the Beast and Frozen. Not exactly powerhouse franchises. The MCU still has two (and soon to be three and eventually four) superhero flicks ahead of it. It'll get bumped out of the Top 10 in two years IMO.

Keep in mind that I was originally so amped up for TLJ that I thought it was gonna bust up Avatar.

No worries. Surely the final episode: The Last Hope will be able to restore everything!

BTW, I think one major element missing is the sexual tensions or unclear love interests between main characters.

2 Episodes in, the only clear relationship is the budding one Fin developed with a brand new character!?!?!? Is there a love triangle between Rey, Finn and Kylo? If so, they're not very compelling anyway.

Missing or hidden love stories is another clear departure from the other trilogies... which probably also contributed to the somewhat lackluster box office.

People enjoy a good love story! So far not so good.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 16th, 2018 at 01:58 PM.

Being in the top 10 world wide gross earnings of all time is somehow disappointing. God I love the internet

"Disappointing compared to Disney's projections."