Page 53 of 153 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

I was supposed to see it tonight at 10:30, but had to bail.

Shit, I gotta give it a "C+".

Spoiler:
    Stolen from Reddit but echo my thoughts pretty well:

SPOILERS
    • Humor was absolutely forced into this movie -- Guardians of the Galaxy effect?
    • Snoke build-up falls flat. Horribly so at that.
    • Leia space walk, biggest WTF moment
    • Ren still "no light left" bad
    • Rey still "only hope in the galaxy" good
    • The only thing the writers wanted to do was give Luke a sendoff. Was it good? Nope.
    • Yoda moment was kinda cool.
    • Conflict was stupid, plot goes nowhere.
    • Finn and Rose arc literally has NO purpose... Other than killing many people.
    • Cute and furry animals are fine. But you don't have to beat us on the head with it.
    • Phasma was probably more useless than Boba Fett.
    • Truth about Rey's parents could've been poetic. Was it? Nope.
    • Kylo Ren's reason for turning on Luke, a "he-said/she-said" style mess.
    • Poe's character is super-predictable -- and I enjoyed that.
    • Looks gorgeous.

At 2h 33m this is a LOOONG movie, too.

This movie's writing & characters makes me appreciate SW: Rogue One more, honestly.

Spoiler:
    "All I can think of now, when I think of Star Wars, is how outright horrible the lives of my heroes ended up. None of them had anything resembling happiness in the least tiny bit." -- @ProfHWalsh

Spoiler:
    "This movie did something I didn't think possible. It made me wish George Lucas were still in control of his property." -- Daniel W
    I will be watching the returns with interest. Will this movie have legs?

It's a pretty Star Wars film but it's long and divisive (audience reviews on all major sites are all in the 50-60% range).
    Last edited by novicius; December 15th, 2017 at 06:16 AM.

I enjoyed it. They took some major chances with some major and minor story beats, and I'm glad they did.

Edit: Reading Carlo's spoilered points, I agree with a few but disagree with many of them being poorly done. I think some of the side story bits were meant to change the way we and the characters feel about the war. We have an assumption, and have from the beginning of the Star Wars series, that this is a very cut-and-dry good vs evil story, but I think TLJ does an excellent job of pointing out how much more complicated this universe is than that.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; December 15th, 2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I certainly don't begrudge people for liking the flick, it's just not to my tastes. #badtaste
    Last edited by novicius; December 15th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

So how did you rate force awakens? Was it an D- or F I hope?

I hope TLJ would at least be better than FA?

I was entertained. C'mon, novi, I would rate it a B. It had some horrible WTF moments, but it had redeeming qualities as well. I felt like it did not flow very well, like it was written by a focus group. "Whuddya want in there?" "Cool ships, chase scenes and explosions, EFF YEAH!"

Last night I left the theater at "B-". I even began my post here at "B-". So we're not that far apart, Cam.

It's only after talking it out with other friends that my grade slipped down.

EDIT: As of this post, it's got a 57% "Rotten" Audience Rating on RottenTomatoes.com (out of 63,933 User Ratings [Average Rating: 3.4/5]).

Metacritic User Reviews are at 5.3/10. In a world where a "7" is considered a failing grade by most consumable media.
    Last edited by novicius; December 15th, 2017 at 11:35 AM.

Junior Potato
    Novi you missed ALL the nuance in this one!

‘Cept I agree with you that Snoke was more than a bit disappointing and that Finn was a wasted opportunity.

Still, I’m extremely intrigued about who Snoke is and where he came from. I can see a plot twist coming in the third film. I’ll read the character page on Wookiepedia later on to see if there’s anything juicy in there.

Spoiler:
    And did anyone notice that Luke was the antagonist in this story? In the original films things were told from his point of view so we followed his arc through his eyes, new and learning about the galaxy. But this time it was through a new ‘new’ character’s eyes, but he wasn’t there to help Rey. He was the bad guy, not just a speed bump on Rey’s journey but an active roadblock. When she finally confronted him she defeated him. Wise old Luke, the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy… beaten by his student.

And she stole the ancient texts before Luke burned the tree

Yoda knew that he still had a lot to learn.

That’s some pretty powerful shit right there.

Do we learn the identity of Supreme Leader Snoke?

(Yes or no will do, no spoiler necessary. I’m still going to watch it no matter what).

Yes.