Page 83 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Rogue One should be higher up, and TLJ lower down. In fact you could probably do a straight swap.
    Totally agree.

With regard to empire strikes back, I remembered as a kid that I just found that ending unacceptable. Needed return of Jedi to give me eventual and proper closure. As an adult now, I think I can now appreciate it more...

TLJ was probably attempting to do the same, to confuse and sadden the audiences... withthose plot twists... hopefully the last movie will bring it to a climactic end.

Junior Potato
    The Hero’s Journey is a well known and commonly used plot device that builds narrative tension before leading to a climactic victory. The original trilogy followed it closely, and the sequel trilogy is doing it too.

It usually goes:

Star Wars was the call, Empire was the loss, and Jedi was the victory. The movie Return of the Jedi even has ‘return’ in its name. You can even break down the three films to show their individual Hero’s Journeys in the trilogy, and further than that, split up each film’s acts to show a mini-Hero’s Journey multiple times per film. For example, in Star Wars, Luke Skywalker:

Becomes the owner of two droids who escape (call to adventure) and meets Obi-Wan, who tells him about Darth Vader and the Jedi (supernatural aid). Upon coming home he funds that his aunt and uncle have been killed and decides to leave Tatooine (threshold of transformation), so they go and hire a smuggler to get them off-planet before the Empire finds them. On the way to Alderaan they are captured and end up on the Death Star, and during their escape they rescue Princess Leia (challenges and temptations). But just before they are all free, Obi-Wan is confronted by Vader and is killed (abyss). The remaining heroes travel to Yavin IV, and the smuggler Han Solo chooses to take his bounty for rescuing Leia and leaves the Rebels to fend for themselves. During the battle above the Death Star, Solo appears for a last-minute change of heart (atonement) and helps fend off the TIEs so that Luke has a clear shot. As he makes his final approach, he hears a voice from the ghost of Obi-Wan and chooses to use the force to guide his hand (gift of the goddess) and destroys the Death Star.

If you look closer at the film’s three acts (Tatooine - Death Star - Yavin) you can see the same pattern throughout. It’s a very well written film that contains a lot of meta stories that are organised in a beautiful fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Still singing that same old song?
    Yup.

Junior Potato
    I agree with YW (again! That’s twice!) and I still don’t understand the butthurt about TLJ. I’m actually enjoying the heck out of reading that link.

It’s like a decadent episode of Sesame Street.
    Hahahaha!

So the new Solo film is about to hit the screens. Saw a review that says its good...
    Hmm probably got a midnight screening somewhere near me, but thats 2 hours from now and I need some sleep.

Junior Potato
    I’ve got my tix for a 18:30 tomorrow night. It’s a bit of a family tradition that me and my mum and my two brothers go see a new Star Wars film on opening night.

Think I'll pass on this one. I'm still miffed that Disney tossed out the Expanded Universe for Star Wars.

Junior Potato
    Ok, so, Solo was pretty fucking good and you should all go see it. It’s a rollercoaster film, plus the Kessel mine sequence is fantastic.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    how much of a western is it?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    About three klicks east of a spaghetti.