Page 12 of 153 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Junior Potato
    My initial hypothesis (posted above) was that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter (Ben Solo/Kylo Ren's sister), but I'm shifting that to her being Luke's daughter. I'm thinking that she was hidden or abandoned there when Ben Solo started fucking shit up for Luke's new Jedi academy.

I'm also tipping that she, not Anakin Skywalker, is the chosen one according to the prophecy of the person who brings balance to the force. There's a few reasons for this: firstly, Anakin totally shredded any hope of bringing balance once he became Darth Vader and helped Palpatine exterminate the Jedi, so it wasn't him. Secondly, there's a line by Maz Kanata in the cellar after Rey's force vision explaining that the force unites good and evil, so it's both, not just the light or the dark side. Thirdly, and this is one that takes a lot of thinking about back story that you don't get in the films: the force drives all of the events in the galaxy like some giant puppet master, which explains why Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were sent to Naboo, why their ship just happened to cop a hit in the hyperdrive during their departure back to Coruscant, why they just happened to land on Tatooine and find the boy Anakin, why R2-D2 and C-3PO ended up in the possession of Luke on Tatooine, why he and Kenobi met Solo, why Solo met Leia and had at least one child. The force caused this all to happen. All the way up to why Lor San Tekka was hiding on Jakku with the secret of Luke's location (and quite possibly keeping an eye on Rey the same way Old Ben did for Luke on Tatooine), why BB-8 ended up in the possession of Rey, why the Millenium Falcon just happened to be parked on the edge of the village she lived near…

It's all the work of the force, and it's just playing the long game with this whole prophecy thing; first it needed to almost completely destroy the grip the Jedi had on the force to allow the Sith to expose themselves and be beaten. Next is the transition phase presided over by Luke Skywalker, which ended when Rey finally met Skywalker on that island in the ocean (the same island that Kylo Ren found in Rey's thoughts when he tried to read her mind). But before this could happen, the force had to test Luke by creating Kylo Ren, when he is defeated (I would say turned back to the light by Rey and Luke and Leia), only then will Luke and Rey be strong enough to complete her training for her to beat Snoke. Luke also just didn't 'run away'. He went there to train more, confer with his own masters Yoda and Ben and his father, and keep an eye on proceedings like Yoda did himself.

And to wrap up my hypothesis, just look at how powerful Rey is with zero training. She got more powerful by the minute during her time in the hands of the First Order. Far more powerful than both Anakin or Luke. She defeated an apprentice of the dark arts in a light saber battle just by focusing for a bit and letting the force flow through her. What she will do in time (or by the end of Episode IX) is unite the light and the dark into one discipline and finally bring true balance to the force.

^ That's pretty good.

I think you're over-thinking it.

They certainly dropped lots of hints that she's a Skywalker of some sort.

Which then starts making me paranoid that it's a smokescreen

Seeing as there was no mention or even a flicker of recognition when Rey met Leia (Whoa) I don't think she's related to KR, Han or Leia at all. Therefore it's likely she's related to Luke in some way. Having said that, as Anakin found out and was told, a Jedi should remain celibate so unless he did a bad thing then it's possible she's just attuned to the Force more than anyone else. Please, just don't test her for Midichlorians whatever you do.

I suspect she was a student of Luke's and was present when the whole Kylo Ren thing went down as you can see her in the flashback when she was much younger when she was probed by KR looking for the map. It's probable that Luke knew she was actually more powerful than KR so hid her away on Jakku to prevent anyone from finding her.

Also some conjecture about the Lightsabre 'calling' to her. It appears it's the original Lightsabre that originally belonged to Anakin, given to Luke by Kenobi on Tattooine. That one was blue and lost at Cloud City when Vader cut his arm off. Quite how it got there is indeed 'a story for another time'.

Overall I really liked it, but it did appear to be much like a reboot of Ep. 4. I also liked the fact that the Stormtroopers were shown as an instrument of fear and destruction. Throughout 4, 5 and 6 they were a bit, well, weedy really.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    ^ That's pretty good.
    Thanks GB

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I think you're over-thinking it.
    Yep! I definitely am.

But you're talking to the biggest Star Wars nerd on the forum (as far as I can tell, I am) and I've seen TFA twice now. I spent a lot of time reading Star Wars expanded universe novels as a kid, and this book in particular really got me drawn into the back-story of the whole thing:

I had it for a precious two weeks from the local library back in 1998, after the SW marketing machine was restarted with the Thrawn trilogy, but before the shit-fest of the prequels, so it presented Star Wars in its purest form. I read it almost cover-to-cover.

It's all junk info now that Disney threw out the expanded universe, but many of its lessons are still evident here in TFA. Why was Kylo Ren wearing a helmet that weighed a ton, and why was he punching his blaster wound and dropping blood in the snow? It's because those two things brought pain and discomfort, which allowed him to tune himself better with the dark side. Why does he need to do that? It's because he's not dark enough to be a true dark lord of the Sith (notice he's not called a Sith Lord at any time in the film) and Leia is right in that there is still good in him. How do I know this? Because I learned this about the force in that book 17 years ago! It's little hints and details that I love picking on in Star Wars films.

Another one, but this may be more of a film metaphor than a proper Star Wars lore hint: on the bridge with Han Solo and the others looking on from the high platform to the left of screen, there was a ray (Rey) of light beaming down to the centre where Solo was talking to his son just at the moment that the young man was having his light side conflict moment. As soon as that was extinguished we see Kylo Ren come back and grip his lightsaber hilt harder, before thrusting the blade into the elder Solo's chest. That may come back stronger in the next two films.

Fuck I seriously need a girlfriend.

Watched.

Enjoyed a great deal.

Will watch again.

Probably won't over think though

I watched it last night. I guess "WOW!" is the only appropriate way to sum it up. Really looking forward to the next two movies.‎

Spoiler:
    Han's death left me in a state of shock. It didn't sink in until later in the evening. It was sad, but I guess necessary, to elevate Kylo Ren's character. I was also shocked when Coruscant was destroyed. Shit.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I just watched it....quite enjoyable, though I'm not the biggest Star Wars geek out there.

Daisy Ridley is very good looking, and her acting was very well done. I do wonder what her back story is as far as her parents.

Also, I have a question about people with the power of the force...were most of them expected to become Jedi if they were found to have the force? I mean Leia has it, right? but seems like she's never used it.

Spoiler:
    Han's death or something where he wouldn't be in the next film wasn't surprising to me, he's just getting too old IMO for these movies.

I thought Kylo Ren was whiny, just like his grandfather and it really is never explained why he went to the dark side very well....Anakin had a lot of bad things happen, but Kylo Ren had nothing specifically mentioned. I hope we hear more about that in the future.

Overall I think some more info about what happened between Ep 6 and 7 would have been nice.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Ford said to JJ
    Spoiler:
    I'll come back, but just for this movie. You gotta kill Han off.