Page 15 of 153 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    I thought it was accepted fact that any normal person using a saber would end up slicing them self up accidentally.
    That idea is only really mentioned in the no-longer-canon novels, from what I remember. Realistically (I use that term loosely, in this case), a normal person wouldn't use a lightsaber because they wouldn't be able to use it defensively against a ranged opponent (you need Jedi reflexes to block shots), so they'd get eaten up the first time they come up against someone with a blaster at a distance.

In theory Finn (and all the stormtroopers) could have been (and should have been) trained in multiple forms of combat, so he could have been trained similarly to the guy with the blaster/electric tonfa hybrid with the presumption they'd eventually run into someone using a lightsaber, even if it wasn't another Jedi.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yes I definitely agree the Bowcaster shot had more to do with Kylo's loss than Finn's attack.

But an angry Finn is a wild and sizable opponent. He also scored a hit, IIRC. Kylo burned more than a few calories putting him down, it looked to me. #teameffort

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    But an angry Finn is a wild and sizable opponent. He also scored a hit, IIRC. Kylo burned more than a few calories putting him down, it looked to me. #teameffort
    Agreed

Dig the movie. Going to see it again on Tuesday.

I feel like people's comments are neglecting to mention that Kylo Ren's loss to Rey could also be due to the fact that 1.) he'd just fended off Finn's rage-fueled attack, and 2.) he had recently been shot by Chewie's Bowcaster. So within the narrative of the story, those elements could have understandably weakened Kylo to the point where an otherwise experienced hand-to-hand fighter like Rey would be able to win.
    If I'm Kylo and I have Force holding powers, like he did with Poe (On Jakku) and Rey (In the forest), I would use it every time. But maybe the bowcaster shot had weekend him enough that he couldn't use his ability as much as possible. Which is also the reason why Rey was able to Force grab the lightsaber away from Kylo.

Which as others mentioned, why Snoke mentioned he needs to be brought to him to finish his training. He still has light side of the Force in him and he needs to extinguish it and only feel the rage of the dark side. Thus increasing his powers. Aka, why the Emperor had Force lightning and Vader didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    But the fact that his master didn't berate him when he lost, or basically at all, makes me think he knows that Kylo is highly untrained.
    I've thought about this and I really don't think this is the case -- because Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

The Wookiepedia doesn't state Kylo Ren's age at the time he began the Jedi Massacre of Luke's first wave of students. But I doubt it was when he was overly young. Additionally, there is a pic there that seems to imply that Kylo was an adult and leading the evil Knights of Ren, FWIW. (Also, the actor Adam Driver is 32 years old, again FWIW.)

I'd say that Kylo Ren is at least a competent swordsman, if not above-average. He probably is pretty low on the "Who Would Win In A Fight Between Mighty Mouse and Superman" scale but I think it's wrong to say that he's highly untrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    If I'm Kylo and I have Force holding powers, like he did with Poe (On Jakku) and Rey (In the forest), I would use it every time. But maybe the bowcaster shot had weekend him enough that he couldn't use his ability as much as possible. Which is also the reason why Rey was able to Force grab the lightsaber away from Kylo.
    Well we're warring with J.J. Abrams uneven direction, in some cases.

But Kylo seemed calm when he was wielding the Force the strongest, caught the blaster shot, forcibly reading minds, etc. While when hunting Rey and fighting Finn he was injured, dazed at times and emotional. So maybe his lack of concentration resulted in him not being as potent a Force-user?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_SS View Post
    Aka, why the Emperor had Force lightning and Vader didn't.
    If Knights of the Old Republic taught us anything, it's that each Force-user could spend their perks differently.

If Knights of the Old Republic taught us anything, it's that each Force-user could spend their perks differently.
    Comment of the Day

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGeneral View Post
    [Bangs rib cage... Thump Thump THUMP!] Good points Novi. Kylo Ren is a bad-ass and is a fearsome, super-strong opponent. It was a team that brought him down, and Rey was just the last piece. Still, she did some heavy lifting to do this.
    He is?? I didn't get that sense at all, he seems weaker at the force with training, than Rey with no training and that when she was strapped down (heh)

No Force user has shown the ability to freeze and hold a blaster bolt before. Vader deflected them with his hand, but that's it.

I think, like Carlo said, his Force powers were distributed in certain ways and they were very raw. It's also possible that Rey is just SUPER powerful.

I just downloaded that game on my phone. My how technology changes.