Page 69 of 153 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

The drums are getting louder... #jumanji

As a non star wars nerd fanboy obsessive an all that stuff I have to say that the biggest issue I had with the movie was that it was, well, just a bit boring. Too long with a plot that bounced about everywhere without finding a groove. The rouge one movie last year was a properly entertaining movie but last jedi, well, I was kinda dozing off.

Agreed.

::

Box Office: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Holds Off ‘Jumanji’ on New Year’s Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Variety.com
    Disney and LucasFilm’s “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” retained first place for the four-day New Year’s holiday weekend despite steep competition from Sony’s “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle.” “Last Jedi” picked up an estimated $68.4 million, bringing its domestic haul to $533.1 million.

Don’t weep for “Jumanji,” however. The fantasy reboot, which finds Johnson, Jack Black, and Kevin Hart transported into a video game world, has outperformed expectations, picking up a lordly $66.5 million over the holiday weekend.
    It was close!

Finally saw it a few days after Xmas. I'm glad I avoided most of this thread and other reactions, thoughts, etc... Although I know there were some pretty strong negative feelings towards it, I enjoyed it.

The only bad parts for me were mostly in the beginning.
    Spoiler:
    General Hux's acting was atrocious. And the opening scene where they "dropped" bombs in space? With no gravity? And while the bomber doors were open, she didn't have any trouble breathing, getting sucked out, etc... I could see if they showed a force field keeping "space" out. They do that on the destroyers, former death star, etc... so ships can land. But, I didn't see any hint of that.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Finally saw it a few days after Xmas. I'm glad I avoided most of this thread and other reactions, thoughts, etc... Although I know there were some pretty strong negative feelings towards it, I enjoyed it.

The only bad parts for me were mostly in the beginning.
    Spoiler:
    General Hux's acting was atrocious. And the opening scene where they "dropped" bombs in space? With no gravity? And while the bomber doors were open, she didn't have any trouble breathing, getting sucked out, etc... I could see if they showed a force field keeping "space" out. They do that on the destroyers, former death star, etc... so ships can land. But, I didn't see any hint of that.
    Spoiler:
    Maybe those Dreadnaughts are so big they have their own gravity?

I thought about that as I posted it... But, nah.

Junior Potato
    All your bomb related concerns are addressed within:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/6-...al-dictionary/

As I complained about Destiny 1, I can't stand stories that require outside explanation. If you need other source material (after the fact) to explain what happened in a scene, it was poorly executed. That doesn't address all of my concerns either.
    Spoiler:
    Why doesn't the vacuum of space suck the air out of the ship? etc...

But, thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    As I complained about Destiny 1, I can't stand stories that require outside explanation. If you need other source material (after the fact) to explain what happened in a scene, it was poorly executed. That doesn't address all of my concerns either.
    Spoiler:
    Why doesn't the vacuum of space suck the air out of the ship? etc...

But, thanks for the link.
    The explanation for all of the above is: Nobody put any real thought into it beyond what will look cool/be easy to shoot. That's why its space opera rather than hard sci-fi. For all intents and purposes, technology=magic; so its not going to be addressed unless there's a specific reason to do so. Do you also find the idea that all of the ships seem to have artificial gravity so people aren't floating inside to require an explanation as well?

Edited to add: The last sentence reads as way more bitchy than I actually feel. I'm not trying to act like you're an idiot, it just came out that way.
    Last edited by JoshInKC; January 2nd, 2018 at 06:30 PM.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Junior Potato
    Totally: the idea of a fleet of 1940s-style bombers is much more tense and spectacular than simply launching fast guided ordinance such as proton torpedos from the Mon Cal cruiser at that exact weak point.