Page 70 of 153 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: In a galaxy far, far away... [Star Wars omnibus thread]

Junior Potato
    Another question:

Why the fuck does the First Order Dreadnought have such a massive weak point on its hull that can be easily exploited? Haven’t they learned their lesson from the first Death Star?

I just assumed from the start that the bombs were accelerated downward on the way out. More like an unguided missile with no need for aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshInKC View Post
    The explanation for all of the above is: Nobody put any real thought into it beyond what will look cool/be easy to shoot. That's why its space opera rather than hard sci-fi. For all intents and purposes, technology=magic; so its not going to be addressed unless there's a specific reason to do so. Do you also find the idea that all of the ships seem to have artificial gravity so people aren't floating inside to require an explanation as well?

Edited to add: The last sentence reads as way more bitchy than I actually feel. I'm not trying to act like you're an idiot, it just came out that way.
    No worries. I'd settle for medium sci-fi.

I guess that part stands out because just about every space movie addresses it. Even later in the movie, the part with Leia. IDK, I would have been fine with it... if they would have showed the bombs passing through a translucent shield or something.

Female Masturbatory Aid
    Maybe they didn't show giant springs that were on top of the racks, maybe they're magnetically accelerated, it is sci-fi. Maybe the bomber chick is a galactic champion free-diver, maybe she's an alien with a third lung where her uterus should be.

Bear in mind, laser shots come out of guns at what looks like 80mph.

Fine I'll shut up.

Don't go against the pro-TLJ brigade, Kid!! The film is perfect! #beabush

In other news, Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Losing Opening-Day Race in China.

Quote Originally Posted by THR.com
    The film earned $560,000 (3.65 million RMB) in midnight previews, well behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens' $2.5 million (16 million RMB) previews score — and way behind The Fate of the Furious' record $8.7 million preview total (60 million RMB) in 2017.

Worse still, Friday's early box-office results have The Last Jedi clearly losing to local comedy The Ex-File 3: The Return of the Exes. As of 4:30 pm, Beijing time, The Last Jedi had earned approximately $5 million (33 million RMB) compared to Ex-Files 3's $11.6 million (75 million RMB), according to data from mobile ticketing service Maoyan.

The results came despite The Last Jedi getting substantially more screens — approximately a 35.6 percent share of all Chinese screens compared to Ex-File's 32.3 percent (again, as of 4:30 pm Friday). And adding insult to injury: Ex-File opened in China a full week ago.
    Projections I've read are saying a $1.3B USD finish, a full $400 million short of Disney's originally stated prediction.
    Last edited by novicius; January 5th, 2018 at 05:28 AM.

The difference here being 'Luke Skywalker' was never a toxic character fueled by an offscreen toxic personality.

No, the point is about toxic fanboys. Pay attention, brah.

No YW, the point of USS Callister is a story set up against a single character type -- "Captain Kirk" is celebrated in the same way as "James Bond": take charge, kick-ass misogynists.

Whereas the diverse cast of The Force Awakens powered the movie to be the #3 flick of all time. This article is trying to frame TLJ disappointment as being soley a factor of the Alt Right which is inaccurate. #HTH