Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I only buy the finest winter beaters.

Blue Plate Special.

Blue hair special.

"People with Small Children" time, too.
    Whoomah!

Dug through every box, tray, and pocket in the car to see if the previous owners left anything.

Found $1.10 in change and some pretty good blues tapes:

2 front tires today.

Turns out this car's handling isn't quite as dip and walllow-y as I thought. It just had broken swaybar links

$8 and that's sorted. I didn't even have to lift the car or remove the wheels. Much better handling and no more funny sounds from the front.

I am intrigued at the fact this car is an R134a system. I was under the impression GM didn't phase that in until '95 and '96. I have a friend who needs a cheap car but it needs to have AC as he health is somewhat fragile right now, so we kinda have to rule out anything with R12 that would be a pain ($$$) to service or retrofit. Adding a couple more years from the '90s could really help her bottom line.

GM switched the B-bodies over when they switched to the LT1 engine, it seems. 94 is the first year for 134a in these cars.

That is pretty cool, and makes me want to press harder for something like this.

I keep having to have the conversation about fuel economy - she would rather have a $4000 Honda than a $2000 Buick and $2000 in gas, which is a great environmental statement but not a good financial decision. She doesn't have the cashflow to be defending mother nature right now.

A little googling makes me think that GM made the switch to R134a corporate-wide for '94.

That opens up some options. A '95 LeSabre is hella plush, will have hella cold AC (when it's got refrigerant in it at least), and will get 30+ mpg at cruise on the highway.

Plus, work on the 3.8 is simple (BTDT 3-4 times now), parts are still dirty-dirt cheap and on the shelves of every Advanced O'NAPA Zone nation wide, and lots of low-miles grandma-driven examples are out there.

I worry a little about 20 year old 4T60s, but the 3800 is definitely a fine motor. If I could find a verifiable grandma 3800/4T60 though that would be great. She doesn't mind the scars of drive-by-braille so long as it's reasonably presentable. After a long time in recovery, she is getting back to teaching... can't have a real POS sitting in the teacher's parking lot.