Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious philosophical question

Serious philosophical question

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the long term stability of humanity. Between the effects of climate change, the possibility of natural resource depletion and subsequent scarcity due to an ever-increasing global population, and the uncertain effects that the exponential advancement of technology will have, I'm truly worried about the long term viability of our world.

Based on the track record of past societies, namely the fact that they tend to have a habit of collapsing at a certain point, it leads me towards a nihilistic view of current life, and I'm compelled to conduct my life accordingly.

On the other side of the coin, I'm cognizant of the fact that many generations in the past have also harbored fears about the future of our society, fears that ultimately proved to be unfounded.

So ultimately, what does everyone think? Are we truly at a tipping point of civilization, or is all of this just the way our generation manifests it's natural fear of annihilation, and ultimately the worst case scenarios will not come to fruition?

As long as it doesn't get in the way of #madgainz

I still have hope that humanity will eventually pull out of the nose-dive that it is currently in and that reason will eventually triumph over ignorance.

Unfortunately, there are still two very large hurdles yet to be jumped that keep screwing us: greed and religious zealotry.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    look on the bright side, if everyone dies, no one will care

I think the only way we'll make it to like 2200 is a huge decrease in population. Either it happens sooner and we make it on our terms, or it happens later as a result of disease or famine or whatever, and it's some post-apocalyptic type thing.

Or we find another Earth-like planet we can live on and the means to get there.

We have become so dependent on our technological infrastructure that most of the West has forgotten how to survive. I know I don't truly know how to provide for my family on a basic level. I don't fish, hunt, raise animals, or even have a vegetable garden.

Quote Originally Posted by GB View Post
    We have become so dependent on our technological infrastructure that most of the West has forgotten how to survive. I know I don't truly know how to provide for my family on a basic level. I don't fish, hunt, raise animals, or even have a vegetable garden.
    The excellent novel "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart goes into this a bit, and it was published in 1949!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam
    Unfortunately, there are still two very large hurdles yet to be jumped that keep screwing us: greed and religious zealotry.
    The entire history of mankind, brought to us by Cam.

<--that's for Cam

<--that's for humans in general

I love a quote on Braveheart movie poster.

"Everyone dies, but not everyone really lives."

There are always 2 sides to the same coin.

End is inevitable. Whether it's your own demise or an empire or the entire humanity. No need to worry yourself to death regarding such certainty.

The question is how you'd want to live your current life because that's the only thing firmly in your control.

You want to reach that end faster? Or you want to live your current life to the full before you're gone?

Great historical figures are also the ones who helped others lived their lives fuller.

Agree with Cam.

Cam for president!!!

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I think the only way we'll make it to like 2200 is a huge decrease in population. Either it happens sooner and we make it on our terms, or it happens later as a result of disease or famine or whatever, and it's some post-apocalyptic type thing.

Or we find another Earth-like planet we can live on and the means to get there.
    I disagree. Population isn't the problem on its own. It's use of resources. Population is going to peak at 10 billion people most likely, and there's still a lot of people who use very little resources to live. It's the western (and increasingly eastern as well) powers which are taking up most of the oil, clean water, etc.

Remember, the U.S. uses 25% of the world's oil