Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulators? Anyone play about with them?

Emulators? Anyone play about with them?

Just wondered how many people have looked at the freeware emulators out there? Some great stuff about, not just for old consoles but also old arcade games.

I've been able to amass everything from:

MAMEUI64 v0.164/MAME v0.165 - All arcade games from the '70s to mid-'90s, Missile Command to Tekken 3 (>1000 in total).
    ePSXe - PS1.
    PCSX2 - PS2.
    Nebula - Sega Model 2 arcade emulator (Gunblade NY, Virtua Cop 1/2, Daytona USA, Sega Touring Car Championship etc.).
    Supermodel - Sega Model 3 arcade emulator (LA Machine Guns, Virtua Fighter 3, Daytona USA 2 etc.).
    Demul - Emulates Dreamcast and Sega Naomi/Naomi 2/Hikaru/System SP, Sammy Atomiswave, Gaelco and Cave CV1000 arcade system boards (House of the Dead 2, NASCAR Arcade, Ranger Mission, Cyber Trooper VOF etc.).

All games are free.
    Last edited by LHutton; September 22nd, 2015 at 11:48 AM.

Administrator
    Every few years I start to fiddle around with emulators and then get frustrated when I can't get things to work right. The last time I tried was getting Shenmue on a Dreamcast emulator, only to find it had a bug where it'd randomly corrupt your savegames. Maybe it's better these days.

Must admit, I haven't tried saving anything on Dreamcast, only played Mortal Kombat to see if it worked but Demul is an amazing emulator, it covers 7 arcade platforms from the '00s and hundreds of games.

I've actually just been playing Crime Fighters and Vendetta on the MAME though, still good.

Last edited by LHutton; September 22nd, 2015 at 11:51 AM.

Junior Potato
    I love playing older Nintendo games from my childhood in 1080p widescreen. GameCube-era games look especially fantastic.

This was one of my favourite arcade games from early '00s, and now it's free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Every few years I start to fiddle around with emulators and then get frustrated when I can't get things to work right.
    Similar experience here. However I decided recently that seeing as I still have my perfectly good Xbox (because Steel Battalion of course ), this winter I'm going to gut it, install bigger HDD, mod chip, XBMC and turn it into an emulator machine.

Using an XBox as an emulator? So are you basically turning an XBox into a PC and then installing an emulator?

I've used NES and SNES emulators for years on PC, but always grew frustrated when trying to run PSX-or-greater emus. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. In fact, I've toyed with the idea of getting back into nostalgia gaming now, and plan to buy a few consoles anyway. There's just something nice about holding the old controller and sitting in front of the TV.

For PS1 and 2, ePSXe and PCSX2 are the ones to go for. I have them working perfectly. Here's the best place for the PS2 emulator because it sets up all the plugins automatically:

http://buildbot.orphis.net/

ePSXe is far easier to setup.

Junior Potato
    I finally - finally - went back and finished Twilight Princess a second time.

I guess the HD remake that just came out on WiiU spurned me on to complete it, as I had progressed up to the Arbiter's Grounds almost a year ago but never went back to finish it. Getting a new laptop last year helped, because the game runs so nicely on my setup in 1080p, save for a few stuttery glitches when the emulated CPU starts to chug.

You know what's funny? I absolutely have no recollection of most of the shit in the game past the point where you find the mirror chamber, so the last week for me has been a delightful exploration of TP's end game, as if I had never seen it before. Contrast this to Ocarina of Time, I could probably play that game blindfolded because I spent dayzzzzzz playing it as a kiddo - I've got like three legit copies of it including Master Quest and a copy of it for Project 64. I've finished OoT multiple times on three different types of hardware.

Another thing might be that I originally played it in 2006 on Wii with right-handed Hyrule and never played it on Gamecube with left-handed Hyrule. This time on the Dolphin emulator I played the 'Cube version with original-style left-handed Hyrule and a PS4 controller. So good! Motion controls can go suck a dick.

Speaking of motion controls, I'm tossing up whether to buy a 2nd-hand Wii and a copy of Skyward Sword or just buy a new Wiimote and see if it can work with Bluetooth on the 'pooter. I've never played it.

But that comes after I revisit both Majora's Mask (tried twice but never finished it on N64 or GC) and The Wind Waker (finished it once, never went back) as soon as I decide which game I want to play first.