Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Emulators? Anyone play about with them?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    zsnes user here.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenb View Post
    Damn there are some very clever people out there

[video]
    You mean the SEGA engineers, right?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    This is reasonably mind blowing.

Switch is 2 years old. Mario Oddyssey is 18 months old.

Bear in mind the purported “400% increase” doesn’t mean 240FPS, it just means it’s better than 15FPS.

It’s also worth noting that a new-ish PC full of i7s and 1080Tis is slightly larger than half the volume of a DVD case. It’s a good reminder of the power of skilful optimisation versus brute-force performance from a lot of hardware (and part-time emulator development).

Bruno just asked what game I played a lot in my childhood.

Back in the early days, around here there used to be 2600s housed as arcade machines and, you know, we played the classics, Ms. Pacman, Kung-Fu Master, Moon Patrol, Beamrider... but it wasn't until my mom got me a knockoff famicom that I really got lost in one game. So I was trying to remember what its name was, and I think it's Max Warrior - Wakusei Kaigenrei, I think it was ported as Isolated Warrior... anybody know if there were palette changes between the 2 versions? It's not quite like I remember it. I'm going to ask Rob on social media, see if he knows anything.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    Last fall my son got me an emulator called Sumosys, which has over 11,000 ROMs. It was a birthday gift and is fantastic. Arcade, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, etc.

Got the entire Marvel vs Capcom arcade series at my fingertips (except MvC2 and MvC3, which I already have on PS3 and PS4). Didn’t cost that much, I think it was $150. I’ve used emulators before but only on the computer. This one I could hook up to the TV and even connect PS3 and PS4 controllers. Which is great, cause I’m so used to wireless now.

Spoiler:
    Legal?? Obviously most likely not. I think the company got pinched, as their website and FB page have disappeared. So much for technical support if you need it, but oh well. I’ve noticed more and more of these retro emulators popping up on FB in recent months. Same price. Probably the same people doing it.
    So I've been playing this a lot more recently. Been learning more about emulators in the past couple of months, and this one is based on a Raspberry Pi or something. Built-in Retroarch menu, which is fantastic. Was getting really pissed off with the input lag until I did some digging and learned about Run Ahead Latency, which solved the problem. Loving this, immensely.

What was that fighting game where gems dropped out every time you punched your opponent? the bigger the combo the larger the gem?

It was pretty similar (graphics) to Rival Schools.
    acket.

Was the Southpark N64 game good?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    I’ve never played it. I remember it was hyped quite a lot because it was developed by Iguana Entertainment, who were behind the original Turok games.

Junior Potato
    GUYS

The Xbox port of Goldeneye 64 is now out in the wild.

You need to install Xenia, the Xbox 360 emulator:
    https://xenia.jp/download/

And the ROM files:
    https://archive.org/details/007XBLA

Download and extract the .zip archive, and within Zenia look for default.xex in the folder titled 'Bean'. You'll apparently need a wired Xbox controller to play (it works for me) but if you don't have one then there are no doubt ways to fix that.

The game can be a little glitchy while it compiles shaders, but that is normal. Otherwise it feels just like the Goldeneye you remember, but with better graphics. And if you don't like the better graphics just hit the RB button to switch to normal blurry old N64 graphics.

Been playing about with them for more than a decade. When I first learned about MAME, I gave it a try and was completely confused and put it aside. Eventually though, I got to grips with how it all works and from that point on it just became something like a pure delight. I absolutely love classic arcade games and being able to play them wherever I want whenever I want is really amazing. Redream runs Dreamcast games incredibly well on my 6 year old laptop. Firing up Ferrari F355 Challenge again for the first time in 2 decades was just remarkable - it felt EXACTLY familiar. I bought a cheap Amazon Fire HD8 tablet a year ago to stream stuff and e-read while travelling and I set up Retroarch on it and the damned thing runs everything up to PS1 perfectly. Paired with a DS4 from my dead PS4, it's just the most remarkable portable gaming rig I could ever hope for. Robotron 2084 (and SMASH TV) is a dream with the twin sticks on the DS4. Neo Turfmasters is perfection anytime anywhere. Shmups? Oh yes...and for verts just rotate the tablet and you have TATE mode too. Tekken 3 at the campsite? Yup, lol. Wipeout3 also! And you know what? The original DOOM and DOOM II totally hold up to this day...those games are just a blast to play especially with the dualshock controller.

Oh, and I have this in one corner of my kitchen ...
    kitchen arcade.jpg
    Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; September 10th, 2023 at 06:53 AM.