Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulators? Anyone play about with them?

Installed Wii and SNES emulators on my SurfaceBook for gaming on the road

Trying to figure more... Maybe MAME?

MAME is awesome, it plays pretty much any arcade game up to 1995 and some after. I lost it and many others when my last PC expired. The Nebula Sega Model 2 emulator and Demul emulator are other good picks, they fill in a lot of the gaps from 1995-2005 and the latter also plays Dreamcast games.

Junior Potato
    I have just finished The Wind Waker for the second time in my life. Some parts of the end of the game were brutal. Like throw-your-controller hard.

To celebrate, here's a screenshot of Ganondorf with the Master Sword sticking out of his head.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Found a good Killer Instinct 1&2 Arcade emulator online, super easy to use...I loved KI Arcade and it's still awesome

Junior Potato
    Dolphin 5.0 is out now!

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2016/06...in-50-release/

Now it is easily the greatest emulator out there.

On a whim, I set up an old box I had lying around with the big LCD I had lying around for the man cave at the Ranch.

And then installed emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and PSX. I dunno if I'll have time to play them worth a shit, but it's a pretty cool little setup. Even found an adapter cable for my PS2 controller!

Time to see what all the fuss is about with Seiken Densetsu 3....

Dolphin sounds neat. I wonder if this old box can run that at all....

Junior Potato
    Any half decent GPU can do it, as long as you've got a half-decent dual core CPU running the show.

The beauty of emulators is they don't need much in the way of grunt to run them. Any slowdown is mostly down to the software itself, since it's trying to make a virtual games console inside a real PC environment.

I installed Citra (3DS emulator) a few weeks ago and... erm... 'found' some games lying around for it. It's slow as fuck, and I have an i7 with a Radeon R9 M200 and 16GB of RAM, whereas a 3DS seems to be powered by a hamster on a wheel.
    Last edited by Rare White Ape; June 27th, 2016 at 11:41 PM.

Checking it. Given that the server is hooked up to the screen, this could be cool. I even have a spare Wii controller wand and joypad lying around (gathering dust as I bought them to use with my Android tablets, which have now been sold).

Full disclosure: the only Zelda game I've ever played, period, was Link to the Past. So I'm looking forward to trying others.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Full disclosure: the only Zelda game I've ever played, period, was Link to the Past. So I'm looking forward to trying others.
    I played a little bit of the original Zelda, liked Zelda 2 (apparently a lot of people hated it, but I enjoyed it more than the first one) and I played A Link to the Past MANY times on 3 different systems. In fact, I just bought a wii (again) and that had that game on it, and I'm playing through it again...such a classic.

I've never played any of the newer ones either, but I want to.