Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track Editor Released !

Track Editor Released !

Yay! or something.

You really need an iPad or google equivalent I think.

It's interesting - better than the GT5 equivalent but takes some getting worked out as you have little control over the terrain.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    *waits long time to create own tracks in GT6*

*finds out it is tablet only*

*doesn't own a tablet, and doesn't intend on buying one. Also doesn't own a smartphone, not that it matters*

*says 'meh', and goes back to playing Forza*

Nice, thanks for this, I'll check it out on my tablets.

Findings so far:

It's a lot better than GT5's Course Maker, because you get to decide where the track goes.

You have pretty good control over the route of the track, you can quite readily make non-constant-radius corners, it's pretty flexible. There's a minimum radius you can achieve, so you can't do something like a bus-stop chicane, but generally apart from the odd slow chicane on modern F1 tracks, anything else is fine. No crossovers either.

The biggest limitation is lack of control over elevation. You have a choice of two modes:
    - flat mode, in which the track will be totally flat, but you can import a JPG of a track layout so you can trace it precisely.
    - landscape mode, in which you draw on top of a pre-existing landscape (three to choose from).

Flat mode is great for flat tracks like Montreal, Blyton Park, etc; you can use the tracing to get a good recreation. The main limitation is a fixed 600m main straight, so you sometimes have to compromise or move the main start-finish straight to another part of the track to make it work. In flat mode you can't have any elevation changes at all.

Landscape mode gives you the chance to make some pretty exciting tracks, *but* you can't control the landscape and even worse, you don't really know what the landscape is under your track when you trace it. So it's a lot of time-consuming trial and error to get any specific result. I've been working on a hillclimb, and I keep getting random sudden rises and falls in the track (like Seattle but worse), you just have to keep trying it out in the game, going back to the tablet and trying a slightly different route, and seeing what elevations result.

I'm quite happy with the Blyton Park and Catalunya recreations I made so far, they capture the challenge of the tracks even if they don't look the same.

You can race the AI in a single race, although they are pretty slow at homemade tracks.

This is *so* needed is most any racing game, I'm glad to hear that Gran Turismo has it!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Havent got the game. Dl'd app to the mrs. Ipad.

Wanna go find a used copy now.
    acket.

I wanted to make a really, really long track covering the whole map and which was almost all corners, but quickly ran up against the 9km(?) size limit.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    The wider the road the less corners you can pack in your track. And if you zoom closely in (that you can see rumble strips) the you can do some cool slow speed bends.
    acket.

Don't forget the 'Decrease Corner Radius' option which narrows the ribbon of track either side of the tarmac, allowing tighter bends. With 9.5m track I can get a 25m-radius hairpin (not quite good enough for L'Epingle at Canada, but it'll do).

Junior Potato
    Seems like it's only good for recreating tracks that are actually flat, and few come to mind for me.

One is the super-exciting old airport circuit from the CART IndyCar days (Cleveland?) and the other is Sebring, but you wouldn't be able to map the bumps.

Those two examples are both based on air strips, which would be no coincidence. But without the ability to control even the most subtle elevation and camber changes, it would totally change the dynamic of a circuit.